96 XLT, Climate Control thermostat not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT, Climate Control thermostat not working

tgibbonsfordluv

Reaction score
City, State
Allegan County, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction on this. Manual climate control, the center knob for selecting between hot and cold does nothing. It is permanently blowing hot.

I used to have a 99 ranger (w/o ac) that did this and there was a cable connected to that knob that came disconnected. I assume it was attached to a blend door to either allow outside air or air run through the heater core.

It's different on the explorer though (not surprising). This is equipped with a/c also.

Feel free to school me on how this works. Looking at parts listings I see a listing for a blend door controller and another for a heater control valve. The control valve looks simple enough, seems to cut flow of coolant to the heater core with vacuum. The blend door controller is an electronic module. I'm guessing this is the controller for other selections on the far right (floor, defrost, main vent, etc). Not having a problem with any of it except the temperature selector.

Popular problem. 15 dollar part. Blend door actuator. Simple and easy fix. Hopefully it's not your blend door insert. Requires dash removal.

So there is a blend door on it? I didn't see anything like that when I was looking at parts listings, but I'll look again. Is it the electronic actuator or is it a vacuum actuator?

Back