2014 XLT Climate Control Not Switching to Defrost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 XLT Climate Control Not Switching to Defrost

holliwood98

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
So, yesterday after work, my windshield was really fogged up, so I hit the defrost button on the center dash piece under the screen (which has always worked), but this time the air wouldn't switch from the dash vents to the defrost. The light on the defrost button was on, but it was still blowing from the dash vents. I turned the system off, then back on, but it still wouldn't do anything. Then, I went into the controls on the touchscreen (8") to switch from dash to feet to defrost, etc...but it still wouldn't do anything but blow out of the dash vents. I don't have any sunroof leaks or anything, so I'm wondering if it's just a glitch I can fix by a system reset or unplugging the battery for a few minutes. Anybody have any ideas?

Although I can't say for sure, but it could possibly be an issue with a blend door. If so, it isn't an issue that can be fixed with a reset. C236??

1704817201508.png

Peter

Unplugging the battery for a moment (tens of seconds at most, does not need so long as minutes but that won't hurt either) is certainly worth trying, considering how quick/easy/no-cost that is to do.

Otherwise I agree that it could be a blend door issue, or the console controller has a fault. There's a 2014 workshop manual linked in my sig below that should have some troubleshooting steps in it.

Back