• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT VSS gear issue?

pingman38

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Ok, I mistakenly posted this when I posted in the new members forum, what can I say, I don't read well at times. My 1996 has had the tranny rebuilt at a Ford dealer several years back. About 6 mos after I bought it the O/D light started flashing, the speedometer quit working, and the vehicle would hard up and down shift. It wouldn't go into O/D either. I had read some blogs where there was talk about a speed sensor being an issue on these units. Called the dealership parts dept. and they told me that the speed sensor was a common problem, so I bought what they told me I needed which was about a 34.00 sensor. From what my father in law said this sensor mounted on the rear section of the transmission. Everything worked normally for about a day and then right back to same problems. After buying another sensor, found out that there is a gear in the tranny case that the speed sensor mounts into. This gear was stripped and the speed sensor was only briefly making contact with this gear and then stopped. So now, I think I have to replace this gear and another speed sensor. I also have heard that there are two different speed sensors. One that I have already replaced once, and another one that requires dropping the tranny? Needless to say I have read several different things on this forum, from TCC solenoid, to the torque converter itself, so clarification would be helpful. Also, one more thing, the windows intermittently quit working about this time, and finally they just quit altogether, and the 4wd light will sporatically flash, this is usually when the windows would stop working. I don't drive the rig now, it just sits until I can fix it. Thanks for any and all help.

Back