96XLT 4x4 Rubbing sound from right rear wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96XLT 4x4 Rubbing sound from right rear wheel

shiner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96XLT and '02XLT
Hello! This is my first post, but I've been lurking for months. I've been searching for similar symptoms without finding exactly what I am experiencing.

This is a 96 XLT 4x4 with 142k. When driving in 2x4 and making right hand turns at greater than about 10Mph, I am hearing a rubbing sound from the right rear wheel. Not a grinding or squealing and only when turning right.

The tires on the rear were recently replaced which didn't make the sound better or worse. Could this be a rear differential issue? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any comments or advice.

I had a simular thing happen when I had to use the spare on vacation, after few miles there was a rubbing sound when I turned the wheel to the right but it was from the front. On inspection it turned out to be the suspension being in a bind because of the spare that was put on the right front being a slightly different size. Once I got home I got a new wheel and put the tire that was flat on the new rim and voila, sound is gone now and has been for 2 years.

David

You put new tires on the rear and left old ones on the front? You should rotate those new ones to the front. I would do that first.

You put new tires on the rear and left old ones on the front? You should rotate those new ones to the front. I would do that first.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. All of the tires were replaced, but I only referred to the rear ones since that was where the noise seems to be coming from.

I apologize for the confusion.

Back