Strange squealing noise coming from right rear... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange squealing noise coming from right rear...

kloadman97

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, O.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
A strange, and at this point unexplainable squealing noise has developed on my '97 XLT. My friend and I are in agreement that it is coming from the right rear, but when we took the wheel off we found that nothing appeared to be out of order. Although we didn't do a very close inspection of the brakes, he thinks it could be a brake wear indicator. I'm not convinced of that, as the problem doesn't often show itself when I am using the brakes. It seems to squeal at such random times, its hard to guess without a decent inspection what it may be. One minute it will be a non-issue, the next minute it annoys the hell out of ya. And there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens...sometimes it doesn't do it till I've been driving for a little while...other times it does it as soon as I pull away from the house in the morning.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? Could it be something with the suspension going bad? Perhaps a bearing that needs replaced or needs a good cleaning and lube job? Sure the car has 90,000+ miles on it, but I don't want to go on this crazy rash of replacing parts that are in good working order if I can hit the nail on the head the first time.

Back