97 AWD 5.0 4404 transfer case issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 AWD 5.0 4404 transfer case issues.

Clintonracer

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Soon!!
I need some advice on the 4404 transfer case issues/rebuilding. I've got a 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD with 150K miles that has been making a popping noise for about 2 months only under decent initial acceleration. (Just since winter started here in Michigan.) I finally got around to some "diag" and the noise is definitely coming from the transfer case when I sit off to the side of the vehicle and listen while someone drives it. Plus it's got a relatively new front driveshaft (the one going to the T-case.) I've read all of the stickies and posts on the 4404 but have a couple of questions:

1. If I were to just install a TC chain if it looks stretched, how hard is that? Do you just split the case and remove the gearsets and install the new chain or is it more involved? How much "play" is normal in these chains, is it like an engine timing chain that you can kind of tell when it's worn out?

2. Is there a reliable test for the viscous coupling once the gearsets are out?

I'm looking to do this on the cheap since I'm selling the truck soon. I can get a used TC for about $150-200 locally but the trouble is that these are both higher mileage and I'd hate to do the work just to have another set of possible issues. I'm not going to replace the bearings either due to I don't hear noise I consider to be excessive going down the road and no vibration whatsoever.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Back