97 EB with JBL Sound System Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 EB with JBL Sound System Question

FullBlownModz

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 97 solid axle exes
What's up guys! I have a 97 EB with the JBL setup. I blew my stock sub and just ordered a new headunit. I already have a 12 and an amp that i want to throw in. I know about the Metra 70-5601 Radio Wiring Harness bypass but I was wondering if I need this because I want to put in my aftermarket headunit, amp, and sub. What is the best way to tackle this problem? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The headunit will have subwoofer connections at the back so you can run RCAs to your subwoofer amp. The amp will get it's power directly from the battery.

The headunit will need the bypass regardless of whether you're putting a sub in or not.

The headunit will have subwoofer connections at the back so you can run RCAs to your subwoofer amp. The amp will get it's power directly from the battery.

The headunit will need the bypass regardless of whether you're putting a sub in or not.

Thanks! Thats what I figured, but now im wondering if I should wire the door speakers straight to my aftermarket headunit or use the bypass to keep them running off of the factory amp?

Thanks! Thats what I figured, but now im wondering if I should wire the door speakers straight to my aftermarket headunit or use the bypass to keep them running off of the factory amp?

Factory amp isn't too bad with a good head unit.
Honestly, a new head unit will put out about the same wattage as the factory amp. Just keep the stock one unless you know the head unit puts out 50 watts max per channel.

I would just wire the door speakers to the headunit, and take the OEM amp out of the equation. Add an aftermarket amp to power the door speakers if you need more power.

Factory amp isn't too bad with a good head unit.
Honestly, a new head unit will put out about the same wattage as the factory amp. Just keep the stock one unless you know the head unit puts out 50 watts max per channel.

The headunit has a 4x80 watt max so i might just take the door speakers to the headunit, but ill try the factory amp first. I would still need the wiring harness even if I took out the OEM amp to run the antenna and other cables to the front correct?

Bypass the factory amp if your headunit has that kind of power. Although I highly doubt it's actually that powerful.

Back