2017 Explorer Sport: what I love, and not so much | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport: what I love, and not so much

Thank you for that. I never actually checked to see if the 3 bars were lit before getting in.

From a remote start perpsective and autostart climate is set to auto in the IPC, the heated seats, steering wheel and rear defroster+side mirrors will all turn off; unless they were on prior to shutting the vehicle off.

"Auto" climate for remote start is enabled/disabled in the IPC
"Auto" climate HVAC control is the physical button under the screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked my settings this morning and I'm able to set it to "auto" or "last". And auto doesn't do everything I would expect. I want my car to pre-heat the seats, steering wheel, engage the mirror defrosters (during the long freezing weather we had the past few weeks). But it won't do any of that with remote start. I have to actually enter the car and start it. Unfortunately, these are serious first world problems.

I checked my settings this morning and I'm able to set it to "auto" or "last". And auto doesn't do everything I would expect. I want my car to pre-heat the seats, steering wheel, engage the mirror defrosters (during the long freezing weather we had the past few weeks). But it won't do any of that with remote start. I have to actually enter the car and start it. Unfortunately, these are serious first world problems.

I have mine (2016 Sport) set to auto and it turns on the heated steering wheel, interior heat, and seat heaters in the winter with the auto start. Set it to Auto, set the auto climate control to 70 degrees, and let the car do the rest of the thinking.

It will also turn on AC and ventilated seats in the summer.

Your 2017 Sport will definitely do what you are looking for, you just have to tinker with it a little more to get it set up correctly.

Automatic Settings (Remote start)
In hot weather, the system is set to 22 °C. The cooled seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display).

In moderate weather, the system either heats or cools (based on previous settings). The rear defroster, heated mirrors and heated or cooled seats do not automatically turn on.

In cold weather, the system is set to 22 °C. The heated seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display). The heated rear window and heated mirrors automatically turn on.

I nearly always leave mine on Auto. When I remote start it turns on the heated steering wheel and the heated seats and they remain on when I hit the ignition/brake. The indicators are not illuminated until I hit ignition/brake. You might check the settings in your IPC.

If that is the case and you have selected those features in the left info display settings to turn ON with remote start, then you have a problem and should see the dealer.
As Lewisra stated above, check to see that you have selected those features to turn ON with remote start. If selected, then they should turn ON with remote start set to 'Auto' regardless of whether or not they were ON or OFF when shut the vehicle down previously.

Peter

Yeah, well I always keep the heated steering wheel, and heated seat on -- constantly, unless I'm on a long drive. They definitely don't engage until I get inside the car and take over from remote start. Also the heated mirrors definitely don't go on either until I take over as well -- as the frost is complete and it doesn't defrost for about 60 seconds after I get in and "take over".

I don't know, maybe there are settings elsewhere outside of the blatantly vague "auto" setting?

To the left of the speedo is a small screen. On the steering wheel, left side arrow controls the settings. Can't remember but something close to hit left arrow, then down to vehicle, then remote start then in there is setting for these. I'm sure it's in the manual.

To the left of the speedo is a small screen. On the steering wheel, left side arrow controls the settings. Can't remember but something close to hit left arrow, then down to vehicle, then remote start then in there is setting for these. I'm sure it's in the manual.
Yeah, that's what I checked this morning. It was set to "Auto" and I never changed it. Remote start doesn't turn on all the features I've been talking about even in -5C weather. That's why I'm asking whether there might be another setting somewhere else?

Yeah, that's what I checked this morning. It was set to "Auto" and I never changed it. Remote start doesn't turn on all the features I've been talking about even in -5C weather. That's why I'm asking whether there might be another setting somewhere else?
If those, one for seats, one for steering wheel, and one for climate control are set to auto then you have a problem.

How do you know they are not turned on?
As mentioned earlier, if climate is set to auto in the IPC and your HVAC is controlled manually; everything will turn off when you get in and hit the start button.

Do you have the following setting checked off?

Climate.JPG

Our 17 Sport has a slightly different DIC GIU then the 17 Platinum.

Explorer%20DIC.jpg

Back