'97 Eddie Bauer Alternator Problem (Video/Image)! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Eddie Bauer Alternator Problem (Video/Image)!

Hacra

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Heya all, While ago i ran into problem that my '97 (5.0) isn't charging battery, symptoms started with battery light on, as i revved the engine battery light flickered on and off and after while of driving even that didn't help.

Measured battery registering only 12+ volts while engine running (should be 14-14.2v?), recharged battery, charge of battery just kept going down untill depleted.

Now i took the alternator off and here is image/video of the alternator and voltage regulator brushes. So the question is do i need to swap the whole alternator or is it enough that i replace the voltage regulator (Which is whole lot cheaper option).

From this image you can see that the lower contact is much more worn than the upper one
nqbnft.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you can locate a new/used regulator i guess you could try it, but i'd just get a reman alternator with a life-time warranty, swap it and be done with it. other internal parts wear out too. they run around $120-$140. look at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts on-line. they usually have a coupon code which can save you 20% off orders over $100. last one i bought was from Advance and i must have hit it just right, as it arrived at my door the next day. i could have driven the 5 miles to town and picked it up, but with free shipping, why bother.

i guess what you decide to do depends on your financial situation at the moment. good luck.

I replaced the regulator on my 99 F-150. It did work. 4 Dollars from the scrap yard in comparison for 200 for a new alternator is great. Try a salvage yard part first (or two to try) and then make your decision, if it works great. If not then you know to replace it.

Had bought the new regulator before i realized there were other worn parts too (you were right koda2000), the part where the brushes hit the alt was so worn that there was no real contact anymore.

New brushes worked for 5-10 minutes as they ate through the remaining pieces of metal left in the old alternator centerpiece.

Now ordered new alt and it should arrive by monday (Around these parts of the planet, sourcing parts for somewhat exotic cars is bit tricky, here most [99.9%] explorers are the v6 models).

Let this be good tip for anyone trying this themselves:

When you have removed the voltage regulator with brushes, grab a old/new toothbrush and clean the brush contact part to see how worn it is :)

Just get a new alternator. There are many parts that wear out in an alternator, and they are calculated to "go out" at the same mileage.
Main bearings, collector rings, brushes, overheated diodes might have corroded solder points...

Had bought the new regulator before i realized there were other worn parts too (you were right koda2000), the part where the brushes hit the alt was so worn that there was no real contact anymore.

New brushes worked for 5-10 minutes as they ate through the remaining pieces of metal left in the old alternator centerpiece.

Now ordered new alt and it should arrive by monday (Around these parts of the planet, sourcing parts for somewhat exotic cars is bit tricky, here most [99.9%] explorers are the v6 models).

Let this be good tip for anyone trying this themselves:

When you have removed the voltage regulator with brushes, grab a old/new toothbrush and clean the brush contact part to see how worn it is :)

i didn't notice wear you lived. a replacement alt will cost you with shipping, but i guess that's the price of driving a "foreign" vehicle.

Haha that works both ways :)
They have Mercedes as taxis but Explorer's 5.0L is a status symbol. As in "I don't care about gasoline price!" in an Europe full of "micro" turbo-diesel engines.

New alternator installed (bit pricey 200€), but it makes the thing go again.

What i really love about this engine/car is, how easy that install was. 20-30 minutes and alternator was replaced with new one, can be done quicker if in hurry. Also location of alternator is well thought (installation wise).

And yes, they use mercs as taxis here, very common cars around here, nothing fun or impressive about them. ;)

New alternator installed (bit pricey 200€), but it makes the thing go again.

What i really love about this engine/car is, how easy that install was. 20-30 minutes and alternator was replaced with new one, can be done quicker if in hurry. Also location of alternator is well thought (installation wise).

And yes, they use mercs as taxis here, very common cars around here, nothing fun or impressive about them. ;)

yes, alternator install is quite easy. i don't know if it's something that was well thought out or just a pleasant surprise (i suspect the latter). i find these trucks to be easy to work on in general and the great thing about owning 4 of them is that once i've figured out how to do something on one, i know exactly how to make the same repair on the others.

Back