97 Explorer Key Fob programing - FYI | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Key Fob programing - FYI

Badspell68

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD 4-Door
FYI - I thought this might be helpful.

Just learned how to program the car to new or used key fobs:

1. Have all the key fobs you want added to the car with you, I think the number is unlimited.

2. Turn the key to the position just before the motor cranks then back to the off position "5" times (The doors will automatically lock and unlock at 5th time. On the 5th turn keep the key position in the spot just before the engine cranks).

3. Now push the "lock" or "unlock" button on each key fob once to program it into the car memory. (does not matter which one you push, just one though, you will know if it woks for each fob as the car locks will lock then unlock automatically for each fob programmed correctly).

4. After all key fobs have been entered turn the key to the engine off position take the key out then put the key in and start the car.

5. Your fobs are now programed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just tested it with three fobs and it works great.

Just remember that when you start the process you erase any previous fobs in memory and you are starting from scratch.

do all Explorers have this capability? The remote door unlock would be handy. I never got any key fobs when I bought the truck, so if I got a key fob would it work at all?

TIA

Would a fob from a Ranger work on an Explorer or a fob that is from a different year than the Explorer?

Not sure on both questions. But, I would say try it out by picking up some key fobs on ebay as they are REALLY cheap. Just make sure you get more then one as sometimes they don't always work and remember to put in fresh batteries.

Also...I think each car has a different frequency so you'll need to check on that too, but not sure on it. Just ask a dealer mechanic.

Thanks for info, I actually have a few new fobs still in packaging. Will give it a try.

Back