97 Explorer, no power windows working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer, no power windows working

IndyDurango

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
97 Explorer, no power windows working.

Dome lights work. Power seat works. Power locks work. Power mirrors work.

NONE of the window switches work. NONE.

Checked the dash fuse panel, all fuses are good. Checked the #10 position 30amp fuse in the Power Distribution box and it is good.

I am at a loss now. Door panel(s) have not been off or messed with. Just all windows have stopped working/responding to the switches.

Help/Advise? Thanks in advance!

IndyDurango

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be something wrong with the master switch, or where the wiring for it goes thru the door.

Would both rear doors and the passenger door window switches all stop working because of a failure to the master switch?

Any photos/DIY how-tos/threads here showing the door panel removal and the switch removal you know of? Not like I can "see" the failure, but maybe something jumps out at me once I get "at" the switch.

TIA,

IndyD

Does this forum not get many visitors? Certainly not many answers.

Recap... the same issue as post #1. Additionally, the overhead sunroof doesn't work.

Checked fuses, all good. Check the PDbox under the hood and the 30 amp fuse the manual says to check is good. Wiring in door is good (if it were bad, drivers door would not be affecting the sunroof or the other doors.)

Any input in regards to something called the GEM module?

Any input about a special hidden fuse box relay near/behind the battery?

We did have a dead battery from the E sitting for 2 weeks. Slow recharged and thought things were fine. Not certain if the issue with the windows and sunroof started then or not. Didn't think to check.

Input guys and gals? I have to think it is a fuse but where/what?

Thanks in advance.

IndyDurango

I had this problem and it turned out to be the GEM, just a thought. Could also be a bad relay brehind your dash, you can access it by going under near your gas pedal. I dont remember its name, but its the biggest square one.

The first thing you need to do is check and see if there is power coming to the switch.

Does this forum not get many visitors? Certainly not many answers.

Recap... the same issue as post #1. Additionally, the overhead sunroof doesn't work.

Checked fuses, all good. Check the PDbox under the hood and the 30 amp fuse the manual says to check is good. Wiring in door is good (if it were bad, drivers door would not be affecting the sunroof or the other doors.)

Any input in regards to something called the GEM module?

Any input about a special hidden fuse box relay near/behind the battery?

We did have a dead battery from the E sitting for 2 weeks. Slow recharged and thought things were fine. Not certain if the issue with the windows and sunroof started then or not. Didn't think to check.

Input guys and gals? I have to think it is a fuse but where/what?

Thanks in advance.

IndyDurango

No... but we do get alot of people that don't use the search. :)

Check for voltage at the switches. Likely issue is a broken wire at the door post. Also check for voltage arriving and leaving the relay module from the appropriate relays.

People leave their windows down when it rains and the relays get soaked and rust.

I would take it out and make sure that none of the connectors are rusty or have rusted through wires. Check the power coming into the unit and make sure there is power coming to it. If none of the windows work I would have to say it isn't getting power or the unit is burned out.

Check fuses, check switch function, check for incoming power, check for ground located around the left rear door, check battery saver relay under dash up and just to the left of the gas pedal. It has a cover over it but not hard to remove. I have been told it is the larger of the 7 relays. I checked all seven and found one small relay that had a bad set of contacts but, not the problem. Next would be to swap the GEM module to see if it makes a difference. That module controls (General Control Module) exactly what the acronym is. All the other not important stuff like wipers, inside lights, spedo, and the list goes on. I spent $12 on line for an electrical manual and it was well worth it. Just down load it in .pdf form and print what you need to use at the time. Save it too because you did buy it. Good luck. I am still tracing my problem down. I will post it once I find it.

Well this is an update to the above. No luck yet but, based on other issues I am going to change out the GEM Module with another one I have that is supposed to be good. I did find that all the ground wires on this 96 were on one green bolt located on the inner front driver side door once I removed the panel. The video I watched on YouTube was not accurate on the removal of the master window switch. I ended up having to remove the entire driver side inner panel to remove the master switch. It looks like Ford used a plastic riveting method to secure things. I opened up the master switch ( watch out for the 3 spring that can fly out) and cleaning all the contacts and also the exterior pins. To take it apart you just have to remove some screws and carefully release the usual tabs to open it.

I checked the continuity of the 30 Amp fuse connection slot wire from the underhood fuse box to the master switch input power wire. I had an open circuit. I set up my open circuit finder and traced the wire to the front door hinge and still had a signal. At that point I was getting too hot (Florida) to continue. I am going to check the left rear area of the engine compartment for a grounding screw that grounds many functions including the GEM module. I am going to check the right side also because there is another screw over there that affects some of the other functions that I do not have. The right front also has some grounds that are not associated with my current issues. The more I look at the electrical drawings I am starting to suspect the Ignition switch itself.

Back to the master driver door switch. The power comes from #5 Mega fuse in the engine compartment. The exit wire is Black with a white stripe. First stop is the accessory Delay relay up under the center of the dash inside just up and to the left of the gas pedal arm. That relay is closed so long as Fuse 27 (10A) is good in the interior fuse box. The large relay up under the dash with the 6 other smaller relays is the Battery Saver relay. It is closed so long as #7 Mega Fuse is good in the engine compartment. The wire color supplying the master window switch comes from the Accessory Delay relay I mentioned under the dash. It is one of the 6 smaller relays. The wire color is Light Blue with a Black Stripe. That wire splits a couple times but ends up Powering the master window switch. The Window Lock switch turns off/on the power to the rear door window switches. Here's the odd thing. According to the schematic, if I did not have power on the Light Blue with the Black stripe wire, I would see transmission issues and sunroof issues which I don't have. Here why I am going to swap out the GEM module. The Battery Saver (Large Relay) under the dash is a N.O. relay. That relay lets all the nonessential things work until your battery voltage drops off. Maybe like from a bad Alternator and the car starts running only of the battery. At a certain point the GEM module lets the coil of the Battery Saver Relay go to ground which makes it change state which shuts off power to all these other functions. There is quite a list. Many are on my list. I am going to see if I have one of those relay in my stuff or just jump it on to see what happen. I could not tell if it was changing states under the dash. It worked on my test bench but, stuff happens. I will keep adding to the post.

BTW, my alternator was not charging and I finally isolated it to a Green with RED stripe small wire that connects on to the alternator via the plug on the back and goes to the battery positive post. This wire is used by the internal voltage regulator to tell the alternator when and how much to charge. My wire was broken inside of the harness somewhere. I ran a bypass wire in split loom and bingo, charging alternator.

Back