97 Explorer No Start -Likely Electrical | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

REMtheExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
All,

I am currently the proud owner of a four door V6 1997 Ford Explorer that is not starting for me anymore. I believe that this is an electrical issue and I have spelled out my personal experiences with this problem below to see if anyone is able to help me in solving this problem by giving me directions on where to make repairs too. Not that this starting problem has occurred during the current winter in southeast Michigan (Metro Detroit area) and that the car was originally from the Las Vegas/Southwest area of the country.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
This problem started in November 2015 (January 2016 now) when I traveled to my class with the car working perfectly. Trying to leave the class the car would not start; tried turning the key multiple times, taking the key out and putting it back in, every minor variation I could think of to try and see if it was something in the ignition column. After trying all of this I left it for 2 hours in the parking lot at school and went to get lunch and weigh my options, after lunch the car started every time I turned the key just like before when it did not start.

Car drove fine until January 2016 when I traveled to a gas station on a Tuesday night. After getting gas the car refused to start back up again. Thinking that it may be a battery problem I called AAA and had them dispatch a battery technician. He checked my battery and said that it was good and then crawled underneath the car and tapped the started with a hammer while I turned the key. Boom! The car started right away.

Thinking I had another couple months until anything acted up again I drove several friends to a restaurant on Wednesday 6:00pm in mildly cold temperatures (30-50 Fahrenheit). Trying to leave the restaurant not 2 hours later the car would not start. I again left the car in place over night and arranged to have it towed the next morning. The next morning in 12 degree weather the car started just perfectly for the tow driver who towed it to the shop idling on the back of his rig.

The shop kept the car for several days finally looking at it on Monday. The auto electric technician could not get the car to fail to start for him. He claims to have tried it both hot and cold and everything in between and it always started. I was convinced that the starter was my problem so I told him to go ahead and change the starter for the reasonable price that he quoted me.

However the following week on Friday the car fails to start again and is now trapped in my parking garage at work. While in the garage I attempted to jump the car and see if it would start, no dice. I also attempted to switch both Number 60 fuses that are located in the fuse box by the battery and was also not able to start the vehicle.

Every time you turn the key that car makes no noise, there is no clicking noise like the starter is trying to engage and before turning the key to the start position the gauge shows no battery power present in the car. Yet both the power door locks and radio will operate no problem. This car also has a new alternator, starter, battery, spark plugs, ignition lines (or something like that), and several other general maintenance and repairs that escape me currently.

Please comment if you have a solution or a possible fringe solution to this problem. I am growing desperate to find a fix to this vehicle and keep it running.

Have you had them check the starter solenoid on the driver side fender, near the battery? It's a $20-30 fix if it's the cause. That's where I would start.

Looks like this, and can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

solenoid.jpg

Back