• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer No Start Conditions

Chilly3210

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Shore Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I drove my 97 Ford Explorer (4.0 OHV) home from work this morning, parked the Truck in the driveway and when I came out about two hours later, I turn the ignition key, all respective warning/idiot dash lights come on, and when key turned into start position-nothing!:thumbdwn:I went over the fuses first, no problems found, went to battery to check connections-cleaned (only 2 yrs old) checked for starter problem, (replaced it as precautionary(162,000)) but still have same results. I can hear the fuel pump come on when key is turned, but absolutely nothing when key is moved to start position, just normal idiot light changes on dash :confused:. Anyone have any suggestions on which route to take next? Possibly ignition switch under dash?
All suggestions appreciated

I drove my 97 Ford Explorer (4.0 OHV) home from work this morning, parked the Truck in the driveway and when I came out about two hours later, I turn the ignition key, all respective warning/idiot dash lights come on, and when key turned into start position-nothing!:thumbdwn:I went over the fuses first, no problems found, went to battery to check connections-cleaned (only 2 yrs old) checked for starter problem, (replaced it as precautionary(162,000)) but still have same results. I can hear the fuel pump come on when key is turned, but absolutely nothing when key is moved to start position, just normal idiot light changes on dash :confused:. Anyone have any suggestions on which route to take next? Possibly ignition switch under dash?
All suggestions appreciated

First trace your battery connections back to the starter and your ground and make sure everything is ok. Then get your battery tested. I know it's only 2 years old but it could still go bad.

lots of posts.... check you connections at your starter relay and the relay itself ... with a meter

Use a test light and see if you have power (when turning key to start) to both (battery side and starter side) sides of the solenoid on the fenderwell/firewall. If you do, then check the connections on the starter.

Back