97 explorer wont start after timing guide replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer wont start after timing guide replacement

ston3dfox

Reaction score
City, State
bradenton, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4.0 sohc 4x4
i just put my 97 4.0 sohc back together and it wont start, i am getting spark but no fire and there is definately fuel going to the cylinder because the plugs are wet and i can smell the gas,but it did sit for 3 months so i put seafoam in the gas please let me know if this is most likely the problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i replaced main timing guide also front cam timing guide and front balance shaft guide i didnt do any of the rear guides because i did this with the engine still in the vehicle

timing tool kit?

Did you remove or loosen the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt?
Did you use the OTC 6488 timing tool kit to time the camshafts?
If not, how did you time the camshaft(s)?
Have you performed a compression check? If so, what are the results?

i would like to possibly speak to you more directly,because things unfold quicker than i check this forum, but i have been told the timing is off,but i also was skeptical of the anwser because the person was in the position to make money. my cell is 941 779 3430 or justincool42@hotmail.com

determining incorrect timing

I only know of three ways to determine if the camshafts are incorrectly timed: compression test (low compression on all cylinders in a bank); physical inspection (requires removal of upper intake manifold and valve covers); and hearing the pistons striking the valves.

I only communicate via internet and then only when it's convenient. However, I'll send you a copy of the SOHC V6 assembly instructions via email. Reviewing them may remind you of something you did wrong or confirm that you did everything correctly. I also have plenty of timing chain related threads in My Helpful Threads (see below). Many people don't realize the complexity of timing the SOHC V6 and don't read and understand the process before attempting it.

Back