Help needed. Crank no start after timing job | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed. Crank no start after timing job

Maxmax19773

Reaction score
City, State
Houston tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport 4.0
Hi guys. Finally put everything back together. Did front and rear cassettes replacement. I have no idea where I messed up . I Can’t hear Fuel pump when turning key on. (Pump replaced probably 10 months ago. Bosh). Could be something simple like forgot to connect something?). I got reman injectors from eBay installed. ( reputable seller. Don’t think they faulty) . New ignition coil denso … , could be ground wiring?? . Car had no battery for 6-7 months. Could be pcm? I check the fuse 23 it looks okay. Checked relays if they loose. I timed everything right- no doubt about it. Crank position sensor? Could it be a safety switch on the passenger side under dash?? I am terrible at diagnosis) maybe I mention a lot of stuff not related to the issue) but I have no clue where to start. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check compression to rule out timing. Do a test on both sides of the engine. Should be 185-210psi.

Check the big 42 pin connector, make sure you tightened the 10mm. Check the ground that mounts next to the pcm as well.

Check compression to rule out timing. Do a test on both sides of the engine. Should be 185-210psi.

Check the big 42 pin connector, make sure you tightened the 10mm. Check the ground that mounts next to the pcm as well.
Thanks!!!! I check the 42 pin connection and ground near pcm . Don’t remember if I tightened them (connector and ground near connector)

Did you use the timing tools to set the timing? Try hitting it with starter fluid just to see if it'll run?

Did you use the timing tools to set the timing? Try hitting it with starter fluid just to see if it'll run?
It’s my 2nd time timing SOHC , using otc set. Will try fluid. Thanks a lot. I will go again through all wires and sensors again when I have time first. Maybe something unplugged. Will do compression and starting fluid . Thanks for input.

Check fuel pressure at rail. If you’re not developing pressure, you can stop your search

Turn key on, does check engine light illuminate? It should. If not PCM is not powering up.

Check inertia switch,

Does fuel pump relay click with key on? Need a helper for this check though

Ok guys. I started it! Got another problem but it starts now. I don’t know the name of this connector but I post picture of it. It was loose ))) here’s what I got now . Intake manifold leaking fuel….it’s not dripping it’s leaking!!!!! Driver side of manifold if I face car. I have one t30 bolt rounded I couldn’t torque or tight…. I think that’s the problem. I also got some noise sounds like lifter. Definitely valve train noise.Priority for now is a manifold leak …. It leaks like crazy so it’s priority now . Later will make video of noise to check out what you guys think. Thanks everyone for stepping in. You are the best! Max in houston tx

DBAC14E4-A37A-44BC-8007-24D783A29C54.jpeg EE1B0DE2-F3D4-428C-80B4-317425A1BEF6.jpeg CB830222-CA3E-45D7-8823-C8F5ACCBF0E1.jpeg 3CCD9D82-C2F1-448C-BCA3-9409F74D1EB7.jpeg

Could be rail!!!!! Great call!!!!! It definitely connection fuel rail/injector !!! Thanks Turdle!!! Check it tomorrow when I get time.

Has to be leaking from fuel rail, might have dropped an o ring?
Thanks everyone!
Has to be leaking from fuel rail, might have dropped an o ring?
It was a huge leakage. Reman injectors came with new o rings ( blue color on the top black on top bottom. I suspect one of the blue ones leaked. I replaced all o rings on dr side injectors and it stopped leaking) I still have valve train noise I can’t identify… I post it later to see what you guys think. Thanks everyone for stepping in. Here’s the picture of o rings I got from eBay

6A020D06-CA57-405B-93F1-204FF83E0B3F.png

How long did you run it? Lifters might still be dry. You did pull the pins on the tensioners right?

How long did you run it? Lifters might still be dry. You did pull the pins on the tensioners right?
Pins on tensioners ….? Can you please give more info to on what pins and tensioners are you referring to. Thanks( I did developed the pressure few times rolling the starter with flooring the pedal to kill injectors and then fired it up first time. I didn’t prime chain tensioners)

Pins on tensioners ….? Can you please give more info to on what pins and tensioners are you referring to. Thanks( I did developed the pressure few times rolling the starter with flooring the pedal to kill injectors and then fired it up first time. I didn’t prime chain tensioners)
Running it 3 times maybe 7-9 min each run

How long did you run it? Lifters might still be dry. You did pull the pins on the tensioners right?Got it ) I pulled pins on alll tensioners)))) I think it’s only one tensioner with pin . Mine 2wd no balance shaft . )))

Back