'97 Explorer XLT aftermarket stereo problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Explorer XLT aftermarket stereo problems

Laframboise1

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have ran all the wires through my truck, set my amp up, my box and grounded everything. I got the wire harness connected plugged in my kenwood stereo and it lit up along with my amp and nothing happen. Not a peep. No radio stations work no, no cds work and i have even tested the kenwood stereo at circuit city and they said it is working properly. I plug back in my factory stereo and all the speakers work except i cant hook my box and amp up to it. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I've checked everything for continuity with no problems. At circuit city the guys gave me some song and dance about it being a factory amp problem possibly? Have any of you ever heard of this? Any tips or suggestions would be vastly appreciated thanks guys.

Ryan

Hey champ im pretty sure that your version of the explorer came out with an amp connected somewhere to the deck...Im not sure where it all is because I own an Australian explorer but im sure of it that you have to disconnect the amp or something like that

there is a factory amp above the passenger side rear wheel well (behind the plastic panel) you prolly just didn't hook up the blue/white wire on the rectangular grey harness to the blue/white (if no blue/white then just blue) on the kenwood. that turns the factory amp on so you'll have sound

You can power the amp like posted above, but it won't sound nearly as good as the HU's power sorce. You best bet if you are looking for sound quality is to bypass the amp with either a plug in harness, or bu cutting and splicing the wires. There are a few diagrams on how to bypass it on this site. Some searching should dig them up. I posted the colors for a 96 without the sub, or premium sound.

Back