97 Mounty AWD 5.0L moaning HELP | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Mounty AWD 5.0L moaning HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every once in a while I'll get what feels like a rough shift from the rear in I think over drive..

I have this one bookmarked lol.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=161566629709

Without the screws.

It's so much smoother without the fds.

Yeah, There were a couple of them listed on eBay. They all use the same stock photo so maybe they're all made by the same company (all Chinese I'm sure). Some were as cheap as $49.99 w/free shipping. I found the bolts that came with the Dorman kit were too short to use and I reused my original bolts. Just make sure the joint moves easily and smoothly. If it doesn't return it. I went with the Dorman kit as several forum members had installed it and had good luck with it. The only other thing I had to buy to install it was the tool that is used to tighten/install the band clamp for the boot. I found one on eBay for around $12-14. IDK, maybe you can borrow one from an auto parts store for free. It grabs the strap and holds it in place while you use a ratchet to wind it up tight. Don't use a plastic tie wrap. It will eventually break, the grease will come out and dirt will get in (which is what kills CV joints). Someone provided me with a link to a YouTube video on installing the joint, which was very helpful, not that it's all that hard to install. If I can find the link I'll post it for you. It's always good to watch someone else to a repair first.

Edit:
Here's the one I think I watched...
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...r&fr=goodsearch-yhsif&ei=UTF-8&sigb=14jkp6jbo

Good work, you found it and will soon know a lot more about what's needed to take care of these trucks. It's not hard, it just takes enough effort and knowledge to get started and do it.

You might have to go to a salvage yard to get another bolt to make your set complete. Look around also if you go, to see what else is there on similar trucks.

hmm. wondering if i should take mine out and look at it. Has vibration around 65-70. had the tires balanced, didnt help much at all. I do have a moaning or whining on deceleration.

That moaning I'll bet is the driveshaft. I gained 5mpg removing it.

Back