97 XLT SOHC, just starting out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT SOHC, just starting out

When I had mine up as high as it would go (a little over 2") my tires sounded like they were dragging when making a U-turn in the street. The front end also hopped around on sharp turns. I backed it off a little and everything seems fine. However, recently I have been getting a popping sound coming from the front driver's wheel. I think it is my CV joint. It can be felt in the floor when backing up, especially while turning. It feels like it binds up and then releases. I don't know if it is due to increased wear on my CV joints from the TT lift or not. I have since backed the front end down a bit more but the noise is still there.

Originally posted by Robert
Since the spare tire well is the same on your 4-door as it is on my 2-door the only way you will get a 32" tire under there is if you deflate it. My factory 225 70R15 spare tire is against my round tube Hidden Hitch. Mine came with 255 70R16 tires but the smaller spare. I seem to remember trying to put one of my 16" tires underneith before I put on the hitch and it wouldn't fit right.

That's what I was afraid of. I want a full height spare, preferably a full size (i.e. 32x11.5-15).

I could also use a stock spare for the street, and throw a full sized off road spare in the back when I go off road...

I have to think about this one.

Receiver / Spare interference

>>>
I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to fit a 32" tire as a spare, especially with a trailer receiver.
>>>

With the Reese tubular, the square channel sticks out through the back of the tube at least .5", maybe more - enough that I considered taking a cutting wheel to anything after the weld.

This was the only part to interfere with the 31" spare I put on. GJarret had occasion to run a 31" spare with his 33" tires for >200 miles with no ill effects, so going to a 32" doesn't distress me too much if I can't get it to fit.

I only run a 30x9.5 on my Ranger, I guess I'll find out some day if I'm sorry about that.

Back