'97 XLT Speaker Replacement

pimpxxxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Speaker Replacement Question By a Newb

I searched for help but didn't find the exact answer so I figured I'd take the risk of asking and getting ragged on... :rolleyes: Anyways, I recently purchased 4 Kenwood KFC-C6889ie (6x8) speakers and I was wondering what the difficulty of installing them myself is going to be. I just installed a new JVC LH300 this morning with ease so I know a little bit about wiring (I knew some before-hand...) I was just wondering if I'm going to have to take the whole door panel off for each door or if I can just pry off the speaker grill on the bottom of each panel. Has anyone had experience with this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about 97's, but on the 93 you have to take the whole door panel off. - but this is not a hard job. Just be careful with any plastic inserts that have to be popped out and light on the door.

Its not too hard- give yourself 2-4 hours to replace all four speakers.

You will need a philips head screwdriver(to take out the two screws below the door handle) and a wide flat head screwdriver to pry out the christmas tree clips which hold the door panel on. After unscrewing the screws under the handle bar and loosening the panel/prying off a little bit pop the little power door/window panel in or out (for me the front door popped in, and the rear doors pulled out). You may also need a small socket (don't know exact size, but I think it is in the general reference thread) to unscrew the factory speakers, but I used pliers.

It is a bit difficult for the first door. But once you get the hang of it you can take a door panel off in 15 minutes :p.

As far as wiring you will only have to cut the stock wires and attach them to the speaker leads. The most complicated part is just making sure you have the polarity right. The way to do this would be to put a 9-Volt battery onto the stock speaker leads, and if the + is connected to + then the speaker cone will pop out, if the battery is connected wrong the cone will go in. Its hard because each door has different wire colors and as far as I can see they use no convention that tells you which is + or -.

Hope that helps, should be the same for a 97.

Hey Pimp, are you a student in Raleigh?

I thought I thought I'd also add that you might want to go to somewhere like autozone and get a pack of new plastic "christmas tree" clips. Once you pull out the old ones, they will never hold tight again, and your trim will rattle.

Do NOT.. I repeat, DO NOT cut off the speaker leads!! Go to an audio store and buy the adapters (4.99 a pair at best buy), they are just plug and play. This will save you alot of time and aggravation later if u decide to remove your speakers or if u decide to sell it. Also, did you bypass your factory amp for your headunit installation?? Make sure to do this if not you will destroy your new speakers!

MattStarr said:
Do NOT.. I repeat, DO NOT cut off the speaker leads!! Go to an audio store and buy the adapters (4.99 a pair at best buy), they are just plug and play. This will save you alot of time and aggravation later if u decide to remove your speakers or if u decide to sell it. Also, did you bypass your factory amp for your headunit installation?? Make sure to do this if not you will destroy your new speakers!
D'oh I wish I knew about those :(.

funnyperson1 said:
It is a bit difficult for the first door. But once you get the hang of it you can take a door panel off in 15 minutes :p.

15 minutes?!?! It takes me 2, max to take them out. I just want to say dont forget to unplug the light in the panel that comes on when you open a door. It just pulls out with a little bit of a twist. If you forget you are going to pull out wires and be out a light.

Wow, so much help.. Thanks a lot guys!
Sounds fairly easy... I had an aftermarket CD player when I bought it (it was used) all I did was cut the wires, solder them to the new HU wires and I was set. Works great too!
(NCSU - I'm only 16, I live here but attend school in Michigan.)
Thanks for the christmas tree clip tip. When removing the dash to replace the HU, the christmas clips seem to hold fine, if they rattle I guess I'll just get dampening stuff. I don't wanna mess with christmas trees in summer ;) Couldn't I just cut the wires and solder them onto the new speakers? And then if (which I won't) want to sell the speakers just cut the wire again? I'm good with a soldering iron, lol.. Door panels sound easy enough.
Was messin around in some 1-2 foot deep holes full of muddy water today... I tell you what, fords are built pretty tough. Hit a HUGE hole and got whiplash and nothing broke... Except the neon in the back that was hooked onto the trim on the top... oh well. $50 bucks for a new set. Hit that bump and the HU fell out... =oX Looks like I need more duct tape.. lol. HU kit isn't the strongest obviously.
Anyways, thanks for all the help.

(Just to show the neon that broke...)
car1.JPG
car2.JPG

P.S. Where can I find cheap, quality brush guards?

Where is the factory amp in my 96 Explorer? I was told to bypass it....but cant quite find it.

EDIT - I had the JBL system...i dont know what difference that makes..

Back