• Register Today It's free!

98-01 Ranger Superlift

stadx2

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Limited V8
Just got my 4 inch Superlift kit from 4 Wheel Parts Wearhouse! Superlift actually sells the front portion of the lift seperately from the rear. For the rear, I bought Superlift's Spring-over-axle Kit. The rear is going to be more difficult then my 95 Explorer was because Ford added some lateral anti-axle wrap bars to my 98 Explorer V8, these bars will either have to be removed (not likely) or legthened to accommodate this kit. The S-O-A kit was actually designed for 91-94 Explorers. The front portion, on the other hand, will be way easier then my 95, because I won't have to grind down those stupid torsion bar mounts. I plan on starting the install this weekend. I'll keep you posted. Remember, there's always been more then one choice in suspension lifts for late model Explorers.

Darren

Littleton, CO

98 Explorer V8 Limited
-Vortec Air Filter
-Superlift (coming soon)
-
-
-

[Edited by stadx2 on 02-06-2001 at 07:58 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool man. Take some pics of the process too.

Stadx2, you say that you had a 95 that you lifted before with the Superlift kit. How hard was it to modify the torsion bar mounts in the rear? Do you have any pics or anything to show it? I am just curious because I am interested in lifting my 95 but am hesitant. 4 Wheel Parts says the Trailmaster kit will fit 95-2000. Any help would be appreciated.

Pics of the SOA kit on the 98 would be nice to see when you do it. Thanks.

spring over

how much harder would putting spring-over-axle in the rear be on a newer explorer? i want to do that to mine when i get my 3" spindles for the front. let us know how it goes man.

Do all 98-01s have this lateral anti-axle wrap bars? Did you get the shocks too?

So the ranger 98-01 kit front part bolts right on huh?

Hey Mike,
I admit, I was a little freaked about taking a then $1700 lift not knowing for sure if I would fit and then start cutting my 95's torsion bars mounts to make it work. Very scary. To answer your question Mike, since Superlift's torsion drop down brackets fit around that rectangular pearch on the 98-01s, I had to grind down those torsion bar mounts until the bracket would snug up against the bottom of the frame. Then I had little "lips" welded on to the bottom of the frame to fit inside that rectangle on the drop down bracket to keep it from shifting forward and backwards. It is a lot of work, but it was worth it. And from what I can tell buy looking at the Trailmaster kit, its easier to do this with the Superlift, Plus its a better kit. The 4 Wheel Parts ad you saw is a MISPRINT, I assure you.
Lastly, I'm really sorry I didn't take pictures of this. I installed this lift before I knew of this website.

Soupbone,
I don't know for sure if all 98-01 Explorers have those anti-wrapup bars, I think it might be just on V8s to handle the extra torque.
98-01, yup bolts right on! Don't listen to Superlift or Trailmaster, they are concerned with liabilites then just telling you the truth. Go to a Ford dealership and compare front suspension part numbers between 98-01 Explorers and 98-01 Rangers. Guess what, they are the same.

Darren

Littleton, CO

98 Explorer V8 Limited
-Vortec Air Filter
-Superlift (coming soon)
-
-
-

Back