98 4dr Mounty A-pillar trim removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 4dr Mounty A-pillar trim removal.

tinman_72

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
How does the A-pillar trim come off? I am trying to run a wire for an aftermarket head unit's microphone. I have it run under the dash, above the pedals then up between the driver's door and dash. I want to tuck it under the A-pillar trim so that it will clip above the side window.
I can just tuck the wire under everywhere except for where the trim meets the windshield at the the top. Without having it tucked in this one spot it will not stay and I will have a loose wire hanging. I don't see any screws in the trim so I assume it is all just held on by clips. Does anyone have pictures of where these clips are so I don't mess things up?

Carefully pull back the end of the A pillar trim along the roof. You will see a one inch clip that holds it to together. IIRC there are four clips. Use a trim removal tool to avoid breaking the plastic pillar trim piece and work slowly.

I heat these small trim pieces with a hair dryer to avoid breaking the plastic tabs off

Those are good tips. I would never thought to heat them up a bit. Thanks guys.

Back