98 Eddie Bauer issues and things to look for | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Eddie Bauer issues and things to look for

pteepee69

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceburg,Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
I own a 94 XLT, and have become very familiar with the issues involved. I bought this vehicle in 2010 and she is still going. Complete top half rebuild with new comp cam, longer hardened push rods, all the things the 4.0 needed to help it out. Manual tranny swap, lift, lots of work done over the years.
I now have my eye on a 98 Eddie Bauer, 4.0, auto trans, 266,000 miles, solid body. Price started at $2400 but has dropped dramatically to $1800 in 3 weeks. I am not familiar with problems or issues that this model has. I was hoping to get feedback from people more familiar with this particular model before approaching. Hoping to have as third back up vehicle and for the wife to use in winter.

I own a 94 XLT, and have become very familiar with the issues involved. I bought this vehicle in 2010 and she is still going. Complete top half rebuild with new comp cam, longer hardened push rods, all the things the 4.0 needed to help it out. Manual tranny swap, lift, lots of work done over the years.
I now have my eye on a 98 Eddie Bauer, 4.0, auto trans, 266,000 miles, solid body. Price started at $2400 but has dropped dramatically to $1800 in 3 weeks. I am not familiar with problems or issues that this model has. I was hoping to get feedback from people more familiar with this particular model before approaching. Hoping to have as third back up vehicle and for the wife to use in winter.

Which 4.0L does it have? The OHV motors can last a long time, the SOHC motors pretty much all seem to develop timing chain issues (which are very expensive to repair and a ton of work if you do the repairs yourself, as the engine as to be removed). I'd stay away from the 4.0L SOHC engine, especially with 266K on the clock. I recommend looking for a 5.0L V8 (which are either AWD or RWD, no 4X4).

Other than that, Eddie Bauer is a trim level. The XLT, EB and Limited are all the same mechanically and suffer from the same issues (which I consider minor).

Heh, irony. I'm in KY across the river from Lawrenceburg, IN.

I wouldn't pay $1800 for one of these with 266K mi. on it even with the V8 which is the only engine I'd accept with that mileage. Granted by now it could have had the engine and tranny rebuilt, but who does that then gets rid of it soon after? I suppose anything is possible.

Anyway I second Koda's suggestion to mainly avoid the 4L SOHC unless it's been rebuilt within the last 75K miles and runs like a top, no timing chain noise when cold. Make sure to make it clear to the seller that you insist on hearing it run from cold, that it's not warmed up for your arrival but I suppose that goes for any vehicle.

Another problem especially if they salt the roads in winter there is rust through of the rocker panels and dog legs in front of the rear wheels. There's a box shaped area that catches snow and it just sits in there rusting the metal. I had those areas on mine cut out and replaced a few years back without any noticeable body rust anywhere else yet, and that was before it even hit 100K mi. If I were to buy a used one today, I'd get a wand and spray undercoating or truck bed liner into that area even if already rusted to slow the process down.

I'm not planning on paying $1800 for this vehicle. Just trying to familiarize myself with the issues that come with this model year before I look at this vehicle or if I look at this vehicle. As I already said I know the issues and problems associated with owning a 94 XLT. I'm just not familiar with this 98 EB.

Back