• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer door lock issue

Goldmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Warren, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer AWD V8
I've had an issue going on with my door locks for a while now. None of the doors will lock using the remote fob or inside lock button, however, they will unlock with the remote fob and inside lock button. The remote also sets the "alarm" when I push the lock button twice. I'm assuming this is an issue with a lock relay? Are there separate relays for the lock and unlock function? Does anyone know where the relays are located, or if this is caused by something else? It's a pain to have to go around manually locking all the doors every time. Thanks!

Very common issue, but not a tough repair. Search for threads that deal with a corroded splice under the driver side rear door jamb. As info, the relays are in the rear cargo compartment under the driver's side trim panel; open the cover in that panel and look forward. There are three lock/unlock relays - one locks all doors, one unlocks the driver's door (first push on remote) and a third unlocks the other doors (second push on remote). Good luck!

Thank you, I will check it out this weekend and post up my findings/results!

Very common issue, but not a tough repair. Search for threads that deal with a corroded splice under the driver side rear door jamb. As info, the relays are in the rear cargo compartment under the driver's side trim panel; open the cover in that panel and look forward. There are three lock/unlock relays - one locks all doors, one unlocks the driver's door (first push on remote) and a third unlocks the other doors (second push on remote). Good luck!

My first 2000 had a lock problem for the entire 7 years I had it. They would lock and unlock whenever whether you were in it or not. The dealer said I was crazy and it couldn't happen. One morning while dropping it off for repairs the gentleman writing it up heard the doors lock and the keys were in it. This was after the 10th maybe 12th time it was there and he swore it couldn't happen.
Till the day I traded it in they never fixed it. Actually the Ford dealer never fixed one thing it was ever brought to them to fix. A true lemon for sure!
My used 2000 of a few months so far so good though!

Back