Door lock issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door lock issue.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
I tried doing a search, but found nothing that was like my issue so here goes. When the doors are locked when I unlock them the drivers door will not unlock & I can not pull the lock button up, I have to open the door by pulling the inside door handle then the button pops up. BTW it locks fine. I am thinking the door lock actuator. Any ideas?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same issues as you until I sprayed PB Blaster into the latch mechanism and let it sit about an hour. Its been about 3 weeks since I have done that and the door is still locking and unlocking fine.

Thanks swshawaii I have the door panel off I will check the latch tomorrow, explorersport24 I sprayed the latch with PB Blaster & will try it tomorrow & report back. The outside door handle when opening the door doesn't feel tight like the passengers side. Thanks again, Mike.

I had a problem with my drivers side door also not unlocking unless the interior handle was pulled. Pulledoff the panel and found that the small plastic piece around the metal rod in the locking mechanism had actually snapped in half.

I'm having the same problem but it's the passenger side which is the same side as the one you're having trouble with...phew.

Was gunna take the door card off and spray around but I have to wait until my back gets better.

Thanks swshawaii I have the door panel off I will check the latch tomorrow, explorersport24 I sprayed the latch with PB Blaster & will try it tomorrow & report back. The outside door handle when opening the door doesn't feel tight like the passengers side. Thanks again, Mike.
Good move taking off the panel, it's the only way to diagnose the driver side unlocking issue and it needs to be removed anyway.
Agree that keeping the latches clean an lubed will extend the life of the mechanism. Here's the exterior door handle thread, sounds like it may be useful. In two years I've replaced two front latches and three actuators on my ST. Lot's of experience on this forum for these commonly failed and overpriced parts. Everyone's always glad to help, just ask and keep us posted with your progress. GL

How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165081

Well I went out to check like they suggest in the attached link by swshawaii. Look at the post #10 #3 where the poster explains about holding up the rod behind the window track while unlocking the door & it pops right open, so I must have a problem with the door latch which is next on the list of things to repair. Thanks for the help.

Looks like my 98 Explorer is having a similar problem now. For the last year, my key has not worked in the drivers side door. So, I would unlock from the rear gate, then open the rear passenger drivers side door and reach up to open the drivers door.

NOW…the drivers side door will not lock at all! The motor is working and the lock visibly moves down, but a simple pull of the door handle from the outside and the door opens.

Any thoughts here? I pulled the door panel off, but I didn't know exactly what I was looking for, so Im sort of stuck.

As always, thank you all!

Door lock key cylinders and latches must be cleaned and lubed periodically to function properly. If ANY part of the complete mechanism is binding and not moving freely you will have constant or intermittent issues. Closely inspect all latch rods and clips and use spray penetrant with the tube inside the key cylinder and door latch while cycling repeatedly. If that doesn't help it's probably time for a new latch, actuator, or both. Make sure you remove the glass run channel fastened by one bolt and the wires clipped to it for access. Keep us posted.

Our latches have a small spring in them that pushes the crossbar to one side. As I live in the rustbelt, as mine rusted and spring fell out, the doors started to behave as you described.

I replaced the driver's side door latch and left the rest as is.

The spring is smaller than a paperclip.

The outside door handle become 'looser' because once the spring rusts through, it takes more force to open the door from the outside when the crossbar is leaning to the wrong side. Extra force equals bending.

Back