• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer engine knock?

x9293

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
ok i have a 98 explorer and the engine has started a knock mainly when you are on the gas and the more gas you give it the louder it get when going down hill almost stops to nothing but when parked and idleing has gotten louder not sure what it is doing have read on other post that it might be the idle pully and ideas?

To eliminate the any of the rotating accessories, idler pulley or tensioner pulley, remove the serpentine belt and start the car.

See if the noise goes away. You won't hurt anything if the car runs for a few minutes without the belt.

check your oil level? my idler pully went bad and it was more of a whine when the rpms were raised, got that fixed along with a new belt and its fine now. i get a knock in my 98 5.0 when i first start the engine in the morning, for like half a second. My theory on that is it needs a second to get the oil circulating. Also for a couple seconds after i change my oil it knocks waiting for the oil pressure to build up. i could be wrong but id check the easiest solution first.

Back