• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer engine swap issues

Sfitzpatrick

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC 4x4. I purchased an engine from Aimup auto in Florida and the engine that they sent was a 4x2 and said that it is the same engine. After installing this engine, i can get the motor to turn over, but it just wont start and no codes are being detected. I did some research and found out that my original motor has a balance shaft in it and the 4x2 does not. Is this a factor that I should be concentrating on? Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which way did you spin the motor when you where doing the flywheel bolts? if you didnt spin it clockwise, you may have taken the motor out of time. when you say turn over, do you mean it feels like its "locked", or it just wont fire?

I didnt have to bolt back on the flywheel, i just used the one that came on the engine. And the engine sounds like it wants to start but just wont fire up. I have taken out every spark plug and made sure they were sparking, i have good fuel pressure. I even took starter fluid and sprayed some into the intake and still wouldn't fire up. I am wondering if the timing on a 4x2 is different then the timing on a 4x4. I am going to do a compression test on it tonight and also hook up a timing light and see if that is the case.

Have you checked fuel pressure yet? Air/Fuel/Spark.

Have you tried your old idle air controller?

Check fuel pressure.

You sure there's spark on the plugs?

When I ment flywheel I should have said flywheel to torque converter. And yes do a compression test. If you have more then one flat cylinder, poop off the upper intake and see if you have compression coming out from there. If you do, I have some bad news for you......

Yes i have check the pressure the fuel pressure to the rail and it got up to 18 before my battery died from cranking it over. I also pull every spark plug and connect it to the wire and held it against the fender and had someone try and start the car and there was spark on every one. Everything on this engine that I installed is from my old engine which worked fine expect for a blown head gasket. Broke down my old engine yesterday and it looks like i accidentally let something plastic fall into the intake and forced a valve to be stuck open. The car ran for about 30 seconds perfectly and then the truck shut off and oil poured out of the engine. That is what sparked this engine swap. Do you know what would have made the engine just turn off like that? Is there something that i have to reset?

And yes we turned the engine clockwise when i was installing the 4 bolts that connect the flywheel to the torque converter.

18psi seems very low. You want to see somewhere between 30 and 40. Not sure on the exact number.

That is just where it got to before the battery died, was only able to crank it over for about 3 seconds. I would stongly recommend never buying from AIM used auto parts out of Florida, they are arguing with me about trying to return this motor saying that the 4x2 is the exact same as the 4x4 even though mine has a balance shaft in it and the 4x2 doesnt. I specifically asked them for a 4x4 motor and that is not what they sent and will not accept responsibility for the mistake.

low fuel pressure

Your fuel pressure should be at least 30 psi for your return type fuel system. The fuel pump should run for a couple seconds each time you turn the ignition key to Run. After you recharge your battery cycle the ignition on and off a few times to build up the fuel pressure before cranking the starter. Even though 18 psi is low, that should be enough pressure to start the engine.

Not having the balance shaft has no impact on the engine starting. I can understand your frustration with not receiving what you ordered but in my opinion not having the balance shaft avoids later failure of the balance shaft chain tensioner. Many members have replaced their 4WD engine with a 2WD engine and not been able to detect any difference. Unless you do a lot of off road driving in 4WD low I would just ask for a nominal amount from the supplier for not shipping what you ordered.

The camshaft and ignition timing is the same for the 2WD and 4WD engines.

How long has it been since the replacement engine last ran? Are you using your old injectors or those on the replacement engine? If a year or more the injectors may be clogged and not pulsing.

Check your spark plug wires - especially cylinders #5 and #6.
Cylinder%20key%204_0%20SOHC.jpg

The company i bought it from said that it was running and tested right before they shipped it out to me mid july. I originally used the injectors that came with it because the engine claimed to only have 56k on it, but after not being able to start the engine, i replaced everything with what was on my original engine including the crank positioning sensor. I am going to do a compression test and a timing light test tonight and see if anything is wrong there. There is quite a bit of noise coming from the passenger valve cover, almost sounds like valve clatter, not sure if that is because i have not be able to get this engine to run and get oil up there or not, but it is concerning.

hydraulic lash adjusters

The SOHC V6 has hydraulic lash adjusters. If the engine sits for quite a while the oil drains out of the adjusters creating excessive clearance and valve clatter. Running the engine for 20 to 30 minutes at mid range pumps up the adjusters.

Your posts indicate that you have spark to all plugs in the correct firing order. Your fuel pressure is low but should be adequate for engine start. (My Volvo turbo wagon started with less than 2 psi of fuel pressure). When you sprayed starting fluid did you open the throttle plate and spray it into the intake manifold? If so, then that leaves compression, fouled plugs or incorrect ignition timing as possible causes.

When you pull the plugs to do the compression test check their condition and gap. Hopefully you're not using Bosch plugs since those frequently perform poorly in Explorers. If the plugs are wet from fuel that indicates the injectors are pulsing.

Back