98 explorer problem starting/camshaft position sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer problem starting/camshaft position sensor

thewizard765

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a long time, doing minor repairs on my 98 Ford explorer, but recently I have had a series of different problems that not even my local mechanics can diagnose, and I am wondering if there is some connection between them.

For the past two months every couple of weeks my check engine light comes on. Code: P0340, which is cam shaft position sensor. Whenever this comes on, I turn off the car, unplug and plug in the cam shaft position sensor several times. I then turn the car back on and the light is gone. At this point, I thought it was simply a lose/dying cable. As per this forum, I cleaned the battery terminal just to be safe that it wasn't the battery at fault. Also, I checked the voltage on my battery, 12.6V before turning the key, drops to 11.1V during the initial stages of ignition, only to rise back to 14V once the engine is running.

Now my wife was driving the car and stalled it, it is a manual and she is still learning. Once it stalled, we tried to turn the key in the ignition, all the lights on the dashboard came on, but the car did not start. In fact it made no noise at all.

When the hood was opened, I noticed that a valve near the engine had spurted a liquid over the rear drivers side compartment. It looks as if the cap on the front drivers side of the engine/transmission had popped open. (I think this is transmission fluid, and I know it is not engine oil as the engine oil cap is on the passenger side of the engine) We tried disconnecting the battery, unplugging and then replugging the cam shaft position sensor, reconnected the battery and nothing happened. Finally, I tapped on the started while She cranked the engine, and the car started. I have taken it to several mechanics, but each time it started fine, and no dtc codes appeared.

Are these three separate problems, or is there a common cause?

This is an awesome site, and thank you in advance for your help!

Back