98 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer

JLEIGH70

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer limited
I have a 98 explorer. The front washer fluid started to randomly quit working and now it doesn't work at all however the back washer fluid still works. Any suggestion would be appreciated.... Its snowing and hard to see!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing that pops in my head is the hoses under the hood. If none were working I would say check the fuse. I believe its the number 12.

I was told the front and back have 2 different motors...

Do you have a refill plug above the left taillight? I can't remember when they changed. The early gen 2 did, the later gen 2 shared the front tank/pump and ran a hose to the back...

The fuse is #12 on the side of the dash. I replaced one last night on the way home. :)

If it's a front tank, check the hoses underneath the tank...

Check BrianDye's registry, he just dealt with this issue... Starts with the 5th post from the bottom, #307... CLICK ME

I have a 98 explorer. The front washer fluid started to randomly quit working and now it doesn't work at all however the back washer fluid still works. Any suggestion would be appreciated.... Its snowing and hard to see!
Hit the front washer switch with a bit of authority .. the Multifunction switch may be the issue. It can be taken apart and rebuilt, I've done it on a few cars.

Agreed- sometimes you have to 'slap' the thing to get it to go...

Probably the relays, one operates the front wash, the other is for the rear. They are located under the coolant bottle under the hood. The same motor operates both front and rear washers. It spins in 2 directions to direct the fluid where it needs to go. I had the same issue with my 98. I bought 2 new relays and everything works perfect now. You can try to swap the two relays to see if the problem follows the relays (it probably will) to verify the issue.

Back