98 mustang GT wheels and tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 mustang GT wheels and tires?

Well what do you all think? I want something i can put a more grippy tire on. My buddy has a set of these same rims i am about to show you. He is getting rid of them for cobra R's (lol, everyone has those on their stangs!!) Either way it got me to thinking about maybe OF COURSE keeping the 20's for cruising around and stuff but the 17's for racing maybe. I have yet to see a rim about that size for that cheap. I really want to get a good CHEAP rim to run slicks on. I have seen some of those BART rims and stuff but it makes me wonder why they sell them for only like $50 a rim. I dont need anything fancy. Heck if it were black rims it would not matter. I just need something strong that is not all rusty or anything and can fit some drag rad's or slicks on. Oh here is the link to the one rims i am talking about. 98 GT RIMS I am wondering if the center bearing cap will be the right size to fit without having to pop the center cap out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you sell yoru stockers?

nope still got em. but i was thinking of seling them after getting these or something else. Besides i think anything i would want would not be small enough to fit the stockers. I want some good wide tires about 10.5 or so. Depending on what i can get.

Many Lightning guys like 15" rims for mounting their drag slicks. This gives you good sidewall flex for launch.

Since you still have the stock rims, I'd recommend using those for your slicks. Then can fit a 10.5 wide tire easily, depending on height, and you should get a good footprint with them aired down.

Just my suggestion, as I'm always out to save money.

Originally posted by Alec
Many Lightning guys like 15" rims for mounting their drag slicks. This gives you good sidewall flex for launch.

Since you still have the stock rims, I'd recommend using those for your slicks. Then can fit a 10.5 wide tire easily, depending on height, and you should get a good footprint with them aired down.

Just my suggestion, as I'm always out to save money.

Arent the lightning guys running 15" rims but they are like 9 or 10"s wide i thought. Because the stock width is what? 7" or so? That would be cool with me. Besides i think it would look awesome with a stocklooking grocery getter pulling up on slicks and even the STOCK RIMS! That would be so cool i think. Kind of add insult to injury, lol. Man i think it would look tough. I wonder if M/t 12.5's would be able to fit? Without having to tub anything. Probably not.

just slap a set of 28X10.50 slicks on either the stock wheels or a set of cheapo black 15x8's. alec is right, go with a small rear wheel to get good sidewall flex. all *us mustang guys have a set of 15's or 16's max for track duty.

*us= me many years ago. :D

Thoes GT wheels will fi ton your X but if your 2WD you won't be able to run the front caps, your bearing grease caps are too large I would just get some black 15x8's for slicks. The lightning guy's are using 10" wide rims ( i know one guy running 12" wide rims) the stock lightning rims are 9.5" wide.

I will be down in Biloxi in May and MAY have some black 15x8's for sale cheap. I will be in Biloxi for a while, i'm moving back there on the 17th. I will be staying off Big Lake Road in the newer subdivision down there. Once i'm down there i don't think i will have internet for a while so i'll give you my # before i head down there

Cool. I think it would be cool to fit some slicks on the stock rims. The only thing i am wondering is you said some 28x10.5? I am trying to wonder what my stock tire height is. I want to say they were bigger than 28 inches but i dont know for sure. Maybe the same. Hey Yomie that will be cool once ya get down here. since you are getting down here in may i will have either installed my supercharger or killed myself out of anticipation. This has taken SOOOOOOO much longer than i imagined it would. The installation wont take too long but trounding up the right parts from the right people is a mess. Yeah i will take a look at those 15x8 rims when you get here is they are still for sale and all.

Hey does anyone have any knowledge of Bart wheels? Are they decent for dragracing? They are really cheap and i am wondering what the reason for this is if it is because they are plain and black and nothing really special or because they are not strong enough?

I think your stock wheels were the 235/75r15's, which are just over 29" tall, i think you would be good with the 28's

Back