98 ranger 4.0 ohv won't start

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
As the title said our 1998 ranger 4.0l ohv will not start. It's been running great. I recently cleaned the iac and maf. It cranks and I can hear the fuel pump engaging but it just won't start. I'm thinking maybe it's a clogged fuel filter. Any other bright ideas? Thanks,

-Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, but you could check the schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if you have any fuel pressure if you don't have a gauge. You wont be able to tell if there is enough pressure, just if you have some. Then check for spark.

Hanks for the tips. A clogged fuel filter can prevent it from starting right?

Sure it can, it will hamper the free flow of fuel. Thats why I said to check for the presence of fuel within the rail. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, I suggest using that to confirm that the pressure is up to spec. At the very least, check for fuel at the schrader valve on the rail, but that will only tell you that there is fuel in the rail but not under how much pressure. The next thing to address would be check for spark.

If you find all these checks to be OK, then I would get a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure.

The place to start would be changing the filter, then do the other checks if it does not fire up. If there is no pressure after changing the fuel filter, it could be your pump. Just because you hear it does not make it good. Sometimes they go, and you can still hear it.

Good luck and I hope this helps

EDIT: and of course, follow safe work practices when dealing with fuel related issues

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key? Go out when its cranking?

IACs can also fail after cleaning. Try starting with the IAC off.

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key? Go out when its cranking?

IACs can also fail after cleaning. Try starting with the IAC off.

yeah it comes on and blinks while cranking. So do the other lights. (door ajar ect.)

Back