98 sport 4wd not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 sport 4wd not working

Jbrizzy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sport
My 98 sport 4.0l sohc I just got will not engage 4wd. The light on the dash will indicate when you shift to 4hi, but nothing if you put in 4lo. And in either situation the front wheels spin freely up on the jack... It's a great truck for the money I spent, but not so much if no 4wd... Any help would be awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

crawl under it and remove the shift motor. then have someone switch it from 2wd to 4wd and see if the motor moves at all or not. start there first.

Also, I didn't mean to post in "new member forum" is there a way to move my post?and thanks for the reply, I'll try now...

So, the transfer case motor will shift between 4hi/4lo while the transmission is in neutral. 4wd itself still does not engage though. Is that the hubs, or?

that means you have internal damage. you might have a broken shift fork, or striped a gear. either way, the case has to be pulled

Make sure you are stopped with your foot on the brake and transmission in neutral when switching to 4 Low. Otherwise it will not make the shift.

Back