• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake noise..

skia4life89

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 LIMITED
my friend has a tundra and bought a air intake that just sounds awesome. when he steps on the gas it sounds like a turbo. I have a 5.0 and im looking into getting a cai for my explorer. Does the mac, or any other cold air intakes make that turbo sound for explorer's?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't notice much sound difference on my 99 v6 or 01 v8 with the Mac intake. Definetly not a turbo sound on mine. I'm also running an Amsoil filter so maybe its a less restrictive, less noise type of thing.

I've got a Volant/MAC hybrid setup on my 5.0. It changed the sound a bit, but not that much.

I didn't do the mod for the sound.

im not only doing it for the noise either..i want to improve overall sound/performance, but having that turbo sound would be a nice touch.

I have the V6 SOHC with a K&N FIPK. At highway speeds and very little throttle you can hear the air rushing in, but give it just alittle more throttle and it goes away. Then if you punch the gas quicky when not moving or hardly moving you can hear it take a big gulp of air. The last noise, and the only turbo like noise, that mine makes is at high RPMs (above 4500 for my V6) When it shifts it makes that high pitched, air-like, turbo noise. Then it goes away untill you shift again at high rpms.

i have the K&N FIPK along with a AirRaid Throttle Body Space on my 03 SOHC Sport and it sounds amazing .
The whistle from the spacer added with the air rush of the filter combined gets alot of
"MAn that thing gotta turbo" not only does it sound amazing but it out perfoms as well/ well worth the money.. cant say the same for mpgs...lol

My Exhaust tone makes everything else seem quiet......so I don't notice any noise from my intake...

Ryan

I've got the OHV V6 with the K&N FIPK, mine whistles like all get out!! hahah Wonder what causes it..

i can still hear mine whistle over my duals. specially going down a two lane road with fences on both sides it drives my ol lady nuts. lmao

I can't really tell. Maybe it's all the loud music that I listen to. But my dad says that he can hear the noise from the intake.

DSCN0718.jpg

I can tell you the MAC hisses around 2500 rpm's with the 4.0 SOHC. It's not even close to being loud but you will notice it. I can still hear it over Fmaster 40 w/ turn down

/d*ck measuring contest

It looks to me like a K&N cause I have one that looks just like that.

You're not getting a whole lot when you buy intakes. The parts are practically worthless. You can, based upon what you see on the market, fabricate your own system by taking out the factory airbox and riggin up an open filter element. What you're getting is the engineering behind the product, and in my case, a little sticker for the smog check people.

Back