• Register Today It's free!

'98 XLT Poor FM reception, noob

willtri1

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hey folks, I'm hurtin. I had the same burned out LCD display that everyone else did. About 6 months ago I fixed that when I bought a Subaru Outback XT. :D So, the Exploder is now a secondary vehicle. About the same time, I lost almost all of my FM reception.

I bought a new Sony HU, figuring that would fix the display and probably fix the reception. Now, the old HU and the new Sony both get only the same two stations. I had some free time, so I took the mud flap out of the Passenger front wheelwell and fiddled with the antenna wire. When I disconnected the antenna wire, reception went to zero. When I hold the wire, the two stations come back. I'm guessing the wire to the back of the HU is OK.

So, next was the replacement of the antenna. I reconnected the antenna wire to the gromet that some freak with long arms and fingers designed. What a terrible place to hide the antenna. Anyway, I took the old antenna off, and put on a replacement from AntennaX. No better reception. I was able to clean out some water and metal filings from inside the antenna mount using a twisted up papertowel and pipe cleaners.

Last I can figure, is the antenna mount is bad. Anyone else had this problem or any other suggestions? To replace the antenna mount, do I need to take the passenger front quarterpanel off?

Making my own music,
-Ken

Back