99 4.0 cold start, rough idle and stall, runs great warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 4.0 cold start, rough idle and stall, runs great warm

jmlitzner

Reaction score
City, State
Alpena mi
Hi, I have a 99 ford explorer that runs fine warm, but cold start it will idle around 2500 drop to 600, acts like it runs a 3 cylinders then stalls, after a few attemps it will run with no problems....????

I have replaced upper and lower intake gaskets, iac, maf, plugs and wires, ect (computer) sensor... now i am lost, anyone run into this problem and find a fix?

I have a similar problem on my '97 sport 4.0 ohv. on a cold start it idles rough for about the first 20 seconds then clears up and runs fine. It will smoke out the exhaust for about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile (white smoke) then clear up and no more smoke. I also get a p0153 regularly. I can reset the code and it will come back in a few days. Plugs, wires, upper intake plenum gasket, fuel rail gasket, egr gasket, and all vacuum lines replaced. Any ideas will help. If i come across anything i will let you know jmlitzner!

I have a 2000 ford explorer sport sohc 4.0 with rough idol also

Hey I have the same problem I have checked for vacuum leakes and cleand the sensers but
it will only go away for a short time. I am going to try to check the fuel filter and a few other things but I honestly need help too. :navajo:

I have a '99 explorer and still trying to work out the problem. Idles rough on start-up but once it warms up it runs great. It will generally run at or about 5-600 rpm. If you hold the throttle it will stay running.

Back