99 4X4 Transmission lurch/stutter in high gear at low engine speed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 4X4 Transmission lurch/stutter in high gear at low engine speed.

Wreckage

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited
My 99 Explorer AWD 5.0 liter has exhibits a transmission stutter when in high gear (overdrive) during acceleration from low engine speed. most prevalent at 40-45 mph with engine speed just below 1500 rpm. If I lightly press the accelerator pedal to accelerate without causing downshift, I feel a couple shudders. If I repeat the conditions but press the accelerator hard enough to cause a downshift, everything is smooth. Problem only occurs if I "lug" the engine when in overdrive. Most annoying when city driving and travelling up a slight grade at 40 mph.

Transmission oil was discolored. So I had a complete tranny fluid change performed at Ford. Problem is still present.

Any thoughts or am I looking at a transmission rebuild?

Sorry, but do not know the transmission model. Thanks for any and all responses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine just started doing the same thing. It was rebuilt 2 years ago. I'm interested in other responses. Mine seems to do it primarily when the tranny is cold. I hadn't checked my fluid yet, so I am interested to hear that you already did that.

Any thoughts?

Ck plugs and wires, they are usual suspect with those symptoms.

I used trans tune from Seafoam on a 97 awd 5.0L and it helped the torque converter shudder immensely. - if in fact that is what is making it shudder. x2 on plugs and wires.

I did plugs and wires, plus a PCV valve and Seafoam treatment (engine) and the issue is gone. Good call on plugs and wires.

I did plugs and wires, plus a PCV valve and Seafoam treatment (engine) and the issue is gone. Good call on plugs and wires.

Thanks, ran into same thing day I bought mine on the drive home and was spark plugs. They were original at 124000 miles.

Mine does this,glad to hear the fix is minor.

What exactly makes the truck studder? Not enough spark under load?

Just thought id post that plugs and wires fixed my studder problem also,Thanks guys!

Changed the plugs and the shudder is gone. Thanks for the help.

I think you should drive it to Saskatoon and give it to me.... I'll give you back what I don't use after I've shoved the 5.0 in my sport... ;)

Si

Ck plugs and wires, they are usual suspect with those symptoms.

When you say Ck plugs and wires, do you mean spark plugs and spark plug wires? My '01 XLT has made a lurch a few times when in overdrive, going up a hill or something. the plugs in it now have about 70k on them.

This is my first post, as being a member for awhile now i have never needed to post anything. this Forum is amazing! i spend hours on here...

Plugs and wires didn't do it here.

I believe that sounds like torque converter issues. Atleast thats what I think I have...

Back