• Register Today It's free!

99 engine pull question

stickboy

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Explorer Limited 4x4
I am working on pulling a 4.0 SOHC out of my 99 Explorer Limited. There is a wiring harness that drops down from the top of the engine to the back and then Ys off in either direction. The one going to the driver side goes to a large connector that sits directly behind the driver's side head.

First off, how do you get that connector separated? I can feel it and can probably grab it, but I am not sure if it's the type where you have to pry the "latch" away and slide it out or if there is something else holding it. I don't want to break the connector so I thought I would ask here.

Second, does the harness that goes off to the passenger side go down to the transmission and the o2 sensor on the right side exhaust? Is there another connector somewhere in line I need to disconnect, or do I just fish the harness out with the engine?

Third, what do you find the easiest method of removing the upper bell housing bolts? I read on here a few people say you get them from the top. One guy at the parts store said undo the transmission crossmember and drop it down a ways to get easier access to the bolts from below. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 4 connectors going from the rear of the engine down towards the transmission and o2 sensors, these plugs pull apart as you squeeze the latch on top of them. They can be quite stiff if they haven't ever been unplugged.

There is one large rectangle connector going into the firewall, that one's pretty straight foreword. Unless it's an export then the cover plate rivets will need to be drilled out.

The is one large square connector on the right side of the engine up above the valve cover, just undo the bolt and it will come undone.

Remove the upper bell housing bolts from the wheel wells with the longest 13mm ring spanner you have. Failing this your going to need a whole bunch of socket extensions and a couple of universal joint extensions going in from the rear of the transmission.

As far as I know there's no other way to remove the wiring harness from the engine to transmission and o2 sensors, other than from between the engine & transmission. Press those latches hard and pull and twist to try to break them loose, they can be tough sometimes but will come unplugged eventually.

Perfect! I wasn't sure if there were plugs on the other side going behind the engine, so I will make sure to get those disconnected. I saw the one on the left head, but not the ones on the right.

2000StreetRod, very nice write up! I have most of it done, but you brought a few things to my attention! Thank you sir!

Back