'97 Explorer 5.0 V8: Engine Pulled | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Explorer 5.0 V8: Engine Pulled

DanielB23

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited 5.0L V8
My last post was in March, Fall rolled around and I've started working on the explorer again. Just pulled the engine yesterday, went smoothly. I'm wanting to strip the engine down as far as possible, to repair it but also to learn about it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! The engine needs cleaning and inspection right now so that will be the main tasks...just finding what all should be repaired/replaced. However, I'm also thinking about having some fun here and potentially installing a carburetor? Or even a turbo? Just some thoughts, currently do not know enough about either to choose between the two. Something else I'm thinking about is preparing my engine for more power...like adding a new camshaft, rockers, headers, etc. Also, the explorer has the GT40p heads in it, should I have them resurfaced or anything? Right now I pulled the engine but left the transmission in...should I do anything with the transmission? Thanks for reading, I will be writing on the forum more as this project continues!

Welcome! You have lots of reading to do!!! Try the search feature

97 5.0 project, we love those

Start with the basics. Unless the engine is very low mileage, I’d regasket and reseal everything. New set of rings, run a quick hone through it. New bearings. Freshen up the heads/valves, replace the valve stem seals. New timing set, obvi. The usual suspects.

For mods, most go with a mild-ish cam and the springs to go with it. Headers are a must if you mod it.

I wouldn’t carb it.

He said it all

The factory efi and ignition is soooo good, gt40 intakes!

Back