'99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it?

Go go gadget flame suit :D

Has anyone ever done a Chevrolet LS series motor swap in their 2nd gen explorer, or any gen explorer for that matter? I know it is a popular swap for fox body cars.

Links or pics would be appreciated. The google didn't yield much. I saw a thread with an 01 sport, but the project didn't appear to get anywhere. Thanks!

(Edit) - This turns into a build thread... Keep reading.

Hi Eric, how are you doing? I've missed the Explorer X guys, that fell off several years ago.

If you are serious about the LS to swap in a 2nd gen, I can point you to a man who just finished swapping one in place of a 302, in his 80's Volvo. He's very nice, helpful, and smart enough to get it done himself. He is on the Corral a lot documenting his Volvo project, in the "East Tennnesee" thread. It's very long and his posts have been the central subject for a long time. His name is Michael Yount, he's in NC I think.

He can tell you well how wide the LS is versus the 302, specifically the critical part, the exhaust. He has an aftermarket SS log manifold on his LS, it's very compact and has 1.75" primaries in it. I bet that would fit, and he reworked the front accessories to fit his Volvo better. There are multiple layouts for the accessories of the LS models.
Hello all I'm in the beginning phase of looking my options for a ls 6.0 or hellcat trans plant in my 98 mountaineer 5.0 can can you point me in the direction of this Mr Michael Yount

Hello all I'm in the beginning phase of looking my options for a ls 6.0 or hellcat trans plant in my 98 mountaineer 5.0 can can you point me in the direction of this Mr Michael Yount

received_764227245440086.jpeg

Welcome and that's a nice looking Mountaineer. You can find Michael Yount by searching his name, that's his user name on the Corral for example. He sold his LS powered Volvo a while back, he's just about finished an old Corolla now, he goes deep into details of his projects.

He won't know much about the unique issues of the 2nd gen Explorer, this thread might be more helpful than other sources, Eric did it a long time ago.

You are going to find out how tight the engine bay is, the steering shaft, AC box, and rack plus cross member are issues to installing a bigger engine. That's why the modular engine or Coyote hasn't become popular here. The LS is kind of compact for a V8, that's how Eric managed to do it without huge problems.

I would suggest first search and find the guys here who have done supercharged engines on their 302 based SBF. Learn what the cost is for their level of results, and then what the LS would cost, plus a turbo etc. It might be similar, and your tastes may steer you to one method like the LS path.

Back