99 Explorer Transmission Problems, HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Transmission Problems, HELP!

kenified06

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Last winter I heard a loud pop when I shifted my explorer into drive. From that point on I did not have 2nd gear or drive. I could only start moving in 1st and then switch to drive as I got up to speed. Reverse also worked just fine. a while back 1st and reverse both stopped working so I had to replace the transmission. I bought a used transmission with 120,000 miles on it and it was guaranteed to work for 30 days. Now that this new transmission has been installed it still has the exact same issue... It will not move at all in any gear unless you rev it way up and then it will barely roll.... Can't figure out why the exact same issue would still be there even after a full replacement. Is there something that could cause this problem that replacing the transmission wouldnt change? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if it matters, but did you change the torque converter when you put the 'new' transmission in?

The reason I ask is, maybe the torque converter going out is what caused you to lose 1st gear in the old transmission.

I'm no tranny expert though.

The one I just put in had a torque converter with it so yes that was changed out

Well you swapped all but the wiring, have to check that maybe.

Might want to get it on a good scanner.

Also I don't recall which engine and AWD or not.

Its a V6 4.0 you just turn the dial on it from auto/4 high/4 low

Back