99 mount NO Wipers,dome light or power windows | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 mount NO Wipers,dome light or power windows

Hunter66

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaineer
99 mount 5.0 AWD NO Wipers,dome light or power windows, they all went out at one time one day to the next.

1 All fuses look fine
2 Went to A-Zone they couldnt help
3 Im thinking all three may be using the same relay ???? Maybe the GEM??

Any help would be great Thanks. David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are probably missing a "whole lot more" but don't know it yet.... your battery saver relay is "busy saving your battery".... :)

I tested the GIANT 30amp fuse receptical for the power windows at the power distribution box while pressing the window button had no POWER there. so I pulled both wiper relays and am trying to figure out how to test them.

Where should I start

I tested the Windshield Wiper Motor, Wiper Hi-Lo Relay,
Wiper Run/Park Relay at the MINI fuse BOX and dont seem to have power there

If you really have no voltage at the 30A Maxi fuse under the hood (fuse #4 I believe is for the power windows), then you really have a problem... that's supposed to be hot at all times - one side connects directly to the battery. Check you voltage on that row of Maxi fuses - the right side of all of them should be hot all the times. If they're not hot, check your battery/wires.

From the symptoms, a few things come to mind...

I agree with budwich that the courtesy lights/power windows problem seems to implicate the Battery Saver Relay located under the dash.

However, the wiper issue appears to contraindicate this - the wiper circuitry does not go through the BSR - it comes directly from the GEM (generic electronic module - behind the radio) and from the battery via the ignition switch.

I'd check the Battery Saver Relay first. And check all fuses related to the GEM (10, 20, 25, and 28 on cabin fuse panel).

There's an outside chance that it's the ignition switch or the GEM itself, but try the relay and fuses first.

Well as the truck was running for about 20 min I noticed the alt gauge was low. I started it a few times and it went lower.

I pulled the NEG batt cable off and the engine turned off. Ok I just got back from AZone with a new ALT, to dark to try it now, I will do it in the AM SAT.
I hope that was it maybe the voltage was to low and caused my problem.

Last week I jump started my boat maybe that fried my ALT. just a note the truck has 178,000
orig ALT. is that good

Low voltage would definitely cause those problems.

I'm surprised it started/ran if the battery was low enough to make the GEM misbehave.

BTW you might want to check your charging system warning light on the dash if it wasn't on during all this...

your "testing" seems to "imply" that you tried something and it doesn't work. Get a meter... and do some measurements. Check your fuse areas as suggested (including checking the fuses with the meter), the ones indicated should be "hot" at all times and relatively easy to determine whether you have "juice" or not.

yes, I do believe pulling your ground off your system will cause the engine to die.... not sure what that "test" shows????? good luck... I don't believe your alt is the only problem.

Yes a multimeter is a must check the continuity in the fuse they may look good but may not be

UPDATE

Installed the new ALT and everything is now working again, except the volt gauge is reading very low it used to sit at the halfway mark now its 2/3 down.
I realize the battery took a beating so Im charging it now. I hope I can save it. it starts fine now though

Second update STILL a problem

1, Installed a new Alternator direct replacement
2.Installed a new battery.

Problem is my volt gauge in the dash reads real low 1/4 in high

I checked the voltage at the battery while running, its lower than when not running
then I used the voltmeter on ALT B+ to ground same result right about 12 volts or lower
am I not testing correctly?I took the ALT back to Autozone they tested it said it was fine I saw them do it. My connections look fine I sanded the terminals connectors to make sure NO LUCK

What should I look for next?

Ok I found my goof I had 2 fuses switched I had a 7.5 in a 25 amp spot that did it.
Found it when I was checking each and every fuse with a meter:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

had this same issue

hey hunter i had the same issue i have a all time 4 wheel drive and have had the same issue am in the middle of this process and if you have already fixed awesome maybe this will help.

I went through all the fuses and relays and found a separate relay block behind the heater controls on the drivers side practically under the dash and went through those also.. fortunately and unfortunately my father is a mechanic and had a explorer sitting behind the garage with a bad trans. so i pulled the radio removed the gem module from it and figured id give it a whirl..I will note however the i.d. numbers were not the same so proceed with caution and ill tell you why later. So i plugged the module in and awesome sauce the lights windows, and wipers worked however with the wrong i.d. number it was looking for a 4 wheel drive with the knob to adjust the transfer case so the 4x4 light would flash... So i figured i would give it a try and drive it and see what happens. DO NOT DO THIS. if you have access to the same some how plug it in if it works unplug and replace with the correct i.d. I am currently purchasing a used gem module to hopefully correct the issue however i do not know if you need to reflash the module however with the year and id numbers matching im guessing i may not have to.. However if anyone does read this and have any immediate input from here would be grateful, but im willing to bet replacing the gem module will fix this just make sure it IS the same i.d. i will continue the thread as i learn more thank you for the post.

which two fuses if you remember

Back