• Register Today It's free!

99 ranger 3.0 tranny problems

stolen 5.0

Reaction score
City, State
bridgeport oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 adrenalin
I have a 1999 ranger xlt 3.0 4x4 with an automatic.

It's all stock, I just daily drive it. It has 135k on it and I don't know the service records on the tranny, i've just been driving it since 85k. I've always checked the tranny fluid and it's been fine and clean. Since I didn't know the previous records I was scared to do a flush and filter.

I put it in reverse today and it does not engage into reverse. 1st, 2nd, and drive work fine. tranny fluid is at a good level and clean and there are no leaks. I would think the reverse band died, but 1st gear still works fine and it gave me no symptoms of failure before hand. I always baby this thing and never beat it it. Is there an electrical problem or a smart part that is not letting it engage into reverse or is my tranny screwed? any help appreciated.
thanks
jason

It might be possible that the tip of the low/reverse servo is chipped, and is creating this problem, but from the way you are describing the symptoms, I think it might be a stuck reverse modulation valve in the valve body or a broken shift fork in the transfer case.

I've noticed my shift work in the transfer case sometimes not dis engaging properly when shifting out of 4wd. Maybe that is the problem. I was not aware that is was linked to reverse gear.

Back