• Register Today It's free!

'99 XLT Newbie

dmcquade

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0
hey everyone. I just picked up a 99 XLT today, with the 5.0L V8, and I am a little confused about the 4-wheel capabilities. Apparently it is 'AWD' (according to the dealer), but I can't seem to find any indications of it being a 4x4 and what not. If anyone knows any info about this I'd appreciate the feedback. Also, I would love to put some BFG all terrains on there, and I was wondering if anyone knows about how well they run, and what size will fit on the 'premium' alloy's. thanks in advance for any tips.

Congrats on your purchase. The V8 is AWD only which is not true 4WD. Basically it will transfer power to any slipping wheel which is just as good, but unfortunately you can't control it.

As for the BFG A/T's they run fairly well. I would stay with the stock size tire on you truck unless you plan to lift it.

Welcome to the site!

Well, they do have 2wd V8's, so your only other option is that you have All Wheel Drive. Matt explained how it works pretty well. To make sure you have the AWD as opposed to the 2wd version is to check under the front end. If you have an axle in there, you have AWD. BFG's are a great tire. The AWD drives a rather capable, the only downside if that you lack the use of 4wd Low. If you have the 15 inch wheel and want to go up in size, I'd say go with a 31x10.5R15. It will fit perfectly on your truck.

Welcome and happy postin'!:)

Back