&*(&%_# water pump

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Well, finally had some time today to replace my water pump and it turned into a major PITA
Because I have a Powerdyne, there is a fan spacer that allows room for the extra belt. With the spacer there isn't very much room between the fan clutch and the radiator.
When I went to remove the fan, it kept hitting the radiator....WFT? Well when I was hit a few years ago, it mush have pushed the front in just enough so I no longer have the room to unscrew the fan from the water pump.
I figured that I would just remove the radiator, then the fan, well, you have to remove the fan first to remove the radiator...because it is clipped to the condensor assy.
So I spend hours today using a reciprocating saw cutting the fan off of the water pump. (and $50 worth of blades) (cut between the spacer and the pump)
Now, to put things back I am going to try to shim the spacer enough to allow the fan to fit, but not hit the blower belt...or I will have to remove the blower and call it a day......

when i got hot in the front last fall it pushed the pass side of the core support back about 1 1/2 inches right where the header panel bolts to the support. luckily for me the tanks are still holdin even though the radiator is twisted sitting in the core support. stupid mitsubishi eclipses and their short stopping distance, i cant stop 9 tons of suv in the same short distance, it was funny though.

Well my neighbor who is a machinist is going to take the spacer to work and surface grind a few thousanths off the spacer. I installed the new water pump today, went to buy the bypass hose and the lower radiator hose and none of the "big guys" parts stores had them, will either try the dealer in the AM or go to a "real" parts store.

Back