• Register Today It's free!

A/C Bypass belt for '02 4.0?

chaotic646

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Ive checked O'reilly's and Autozone's online inventory but cannot locate a non A/C belt for anything newer than 2001. Has anyone found a belt that is the right length to bypass their A/C compressor? Mine finally seized up and snapped my two month old belt a few days ago. I shouldn't say seized up, it turns but sounds horrible and sparks fly when the clutch is engaged. I'd rather not have to remove the compressor and install a bypass pulley when a shorter belt would be so much less work.

I know it's been discussed in here recently, so search belt and see what comes up. I guess you could just unplug the clutch, so it never engages if it spins freely without the clutch.

First why don't you replace the ac compressor and have ac.

To answer your question use a piece of string and snake it through and then mesure what length you need. Then go to store and ask for what you need. The belts show the length on the box.

What would be much less work is simply disconnect the clutch power connector so that it does not engage and cause sparks. You could also remove the center bolt and just remove the clutch. You don't need to bypass the compressor unless the pulley bearing is bad.

Do you realize you can get a junk yard compressor for like $40? http://www.ebay.com/itm/321370283791

Back