A/C Compressor Explorer 2002 (4.0L) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor Explorer 2002 (4.0L)

Erwin

Reaction score
City, State
Yauco, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hi guys,

I have a friend of mine that has a 2002 Explorer that needs urgently the A/C Compressor. I found it at rockauto.com but I'm not sure if the part includes everything I need to fully replace the a/c compressor. By "fully replace" I mean from the serpentine belt pully to the very back end of the compressor.

The compressor is $201.79 while they also have, as a separate part, the Clutch with coil for $83.79.

If I just buy the compressor, what else do I need? I would like to see a picture, or diagram, of what they call "compressor" but is not available.

Any help?

Thanks,

Unless you have the tools to remove the old clutch from the old compressor, you need a compressor with clutch installed. It will have the pulley and everything. Don't buy yhem separately, get it as acomplete assembled unit and save yourself some time.

However, I am curious what leads to the need for replacement, because if the compressor disintegrated inside, you will need to replace a number of others things, and flush the system, then run a vacuum pump on it for better part of an hour prior to recharge with proper amount of oil and refrigerant.

...diagnozed by an A/C Technician

Thanks for the info. It all started with a "clank-clunk" and humming noise under the hood when turning on the A/C. Then it smelled like something burned out and the diagnoze revealed a damage compressor with a high risk to get the clutch pulley stuck as the burning smell came from the internal bearing. The event also damaged the upper idler pulley.

Now, with the A/C off, you can hear like a piston noise comming from the compressor body. If you try to turn it on the noise is extremely loud.

Apparently it is more efficient to change the whole compressor unit including the clutch. That's what we've been told by the technician (not at a Ford dealer). The guy is trying to sell us the compressor for $580 (and this is only the compressor w/clutch). The full job, including the compressor, would be $800. At least I can try to save $220 by bringing the compressor by myself.

Thanks for youe time and comments.

Regards,

You should also change out the orifice tube and the accumulator at the same time. If the orifice tube has metal in it or black crud, I'd also replace the return line with muffler and flush the system well. An return line in line filter would also be a good idea.

Back