Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
Subject:

1993 unit, never been serviced, 311K miles, cool air (sort of).

Questions:

1. Is it possible to replace the bearings inside the compressor drive pulley (used when the compressor is not running)?

2. Does the compressor need to be replaced due to "old age"?

3. I am going to rebuild the system. Aside from hoses and o-rings, which components need to be replaced?

4. The biggie - should I upgrade to R134a? (I have 3 cans of R12)

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not trying to hijack your post but I also have a question. will the compressor from a later year model with the 134 system fit on the engine of a 92 with the r 12 compressor?

again sorry, but I am looking for the answers to your questions as well.

Subject:

1993 unit, never been serviced, 311K miles, cool air (sort of).

Questions:

1. Is it possible to replace the bearings inside the compressor drive pulley (used when the compressor is not running)?

2. Does the compressor need to be replaced due to "old age"?

3. I am going to rebuild the system. Aside from hoses and o-rings, which components need to be replaced?

4. The biggie - should I upgrade to R134a? (I have 3 cans of R12)

Thanks.

1. To replace the clutch pulley bearing you will need to remove the clutch to get to it and press the old one out and press the new bearing into the hub...

2. Compressors do wear out over time and the internal seals, bearings, reed plates, and shafts all wear as the compressor runs...

3. I would replace the accumulator, the orifice tube, and perhaps the fan clutch...That is the only source of air being pulled through the condensor to help the a/c system remove latent heat from the refrigerant...I would also clean the fins of the condensor and the radiator to see if there are any obstructions there...

4. To convert to R134a and have it cool well you would need to replace the condensor, flush the old mineral oil out of the system[since R134a is not compatible with it], replace the accumulator, replace all the hoses and seals,including the ones inside the compressor, replace the orifice tube with one for R134a, and charge the system with compatible oil and 60-70% of R134a as called for R12...

Remember that R134a runs at a higher pressure than R12 and the amount of refrigerant needs to be lower in the system for it to absorb the heat from the air being blown across the evaporator...

not trying to hijack your post but I also have a question. will the compressor from a later year model with the 134 system fit on the engine of a 92 with the r 12 compressor?

again sorry, but I am looking for the answers to your questions as well.

I believe Ford used the same compressor in the same location for at least the first 10 years of its build of the Explorer so any compressor with the same orientation of the hose outlets can be used on any Explorer or Ranger...

The compressor does not hold oil so flushing it is not needed just using the correct oil for the refrigerant to lubricate the compressor as the flow occurs though the system...

thank you, I appreciate your response.

Back