• Register Today It's free!

A/C cycling too often

palallin

Reaction score
City, State
Middle 'o Everyhere, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT AWD
I have looked for an answer but didn't find one, so I'll post a thread.

'98 XLT AWD 302 (sorry, I just can't do litres). The a/c ciompressor is cycling far too quickly, on and off in about 1 or 2 seconds.

I recently had the a/c serviced (just bought the Explorer two weeks ago). The compressor wasn't kicking on at all; the dealership said that the coolant was virtually gone. After the service, the a/c blew cool--not super cold but adequately cool--for about three days. Yesterday, my wife told me that the air was blowing wamrer. When she got home last night, I checked and saw that the compressor was cycling too fast.

I don't have gauges that fit R134a ports, so I cannot test the pressures myself.

Could the rapid cycling be the result of the coolant leaking out (if so, I need to get a leak found and fixed)? Is there another possible reason for the cycling? Just the fact that the a/c won't stay on may be enough to explain the lack of cool air?

Thanks for any ideas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they filled it and it was cool for a few days, then it started blowing warm, I'd say that you have a leak in the system... Eventually it will stop cycling altogether as the pressure switch will stop the compressor from engaging when the system is empty.

You should take it back to the shop, and explain what happened. They prabably have an electronic halogen leak testing tool for determining where the leak is coming from. Freon is expensive, so adding more just to leak out again in a few days doesn't make sense. They should give you some sort of guarantee on what they did if there is a problem within a reasonable time frame.

X2 on the system leak...

And honestly this is the vehicles safety net kicking in and not burning itself[or the a/c compressor] up...Low refrigerant levels mean the compressor will not run as the refrigerant circulates the lubricating oil as it flows through the system...

Just "topping it off" is not the best way to work this...IF it is leaking out that quickly, you probably have a good size leak in the system...I would look for a dirty/oily hose or pull the black foam insulation back from the accumulator and see if there is any rust on it...

Once you find the leak, fix it or get it fixed, vacuum the system down and replace the accumulator, add some refrigerant oil to the system and then recharge it or have it recharged...When the system is sealed, lubricated,free of air, and not leaking, you can expect years of service from it...

Unless the leak is coming from the evaporator, the leak should be easy to spot...Dirty area on the condensor especially at a connection would be a dead giveaway...And since it is leaking out, air and moisture will have gotten inside the system and oil will have escaped...Air and moisture need to be vacuumed out, oil needs to be replaced...

When you find the leak that will determine which way to go...If it is a hose or connection, get the hose repaired or replaced or replace system o-rings at a leaking connection. If the condensor is leaking you MIGHT be able to get it fixed by a radiator shop but expect to buy another one...Leaking accumulators just get replaced...And the tools to vacuum and recharge the system can be gotten through the Loan-a-Tool programs of most automotive parts stores as well as the refrigerant oil and refrigerant...

It is time to get to work...

Yes- forgot about the foam-wrapped evaporator. If your evaporator has a foam wrap, it could be rusted through underneath creating a leak- very well documented, and Ford stopped wrapping them for that reason...

Back