A/C isn't cold, defrost sucks, etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C isn't cold, defrost sucks, etc.

syst3merror

Reaction score
City, State
New Castle, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, I have my suspicions as to what the problem is, but I want to get a second opinion before I start ripping into stuff.

Ok, I have an 05 XLT. Here are the symptoms as I have found so far:
1) A/C doesn't blow that cold...even on max!
2) NO noticeable different in sound/speed when going from regular a/c to max
3) Defrost takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R. to defog the windows
4) Seems like even if you have the vents turned to just defrost, you still feel it coming out at your feet?!?!

Now, my suspicions are that it's a blender door issue, but I really wanted another opinion before I order the heatertreater and take on the job! (takes forever to remove the whole dash just to replace a stupid door...and it costs $100+)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear your compresor 'Clicking/ticking' on?

thanks for replying MSM....

Yeah, I hear it "click" every 10 secs. (I've counted it while sitting/driving)

Even if your blend door is bad, You should still get cold air on MAX.
I just charged my '98 Yesterday to 1.14 lbs (Recomended Pressure) Because my compressor wasn't kicking on. It was short a whole pound. I charged it last two years ago. Its working fine now. Odd that yours is kicking on but your not getting that cold of air.
Have you tried sticking a temp gauge in the center vent with the doors open? See how low the temp reaches, and get back to us.

Ok, I bought a recharge system from Autozone and followed the directions (and watched Youtube vids to make sure) but for some reason, it doesn't seem to want to accept the freon? in the can.

This is what I did:
Started Ex
Turned A/C on Max A/C and highest settings
Connected the recharge kit
Watched the needle go up and down
Opened valve to input freon (sorry if thats not what is really being put in)
Slowly rocked bottle back and forth to help introduce the freon into the system

For some reason it's not accepting anything from the bottle

I don't know too much about the heating and cooling system, but I notice my compressor kicks in during defrost just like it does when turning on the a/c, so would low a/c charge have something to do with the crappy defrost that I encounter on my Ex?

Depending on the kit you bought, most pull and snap on. than screw tight. did you screw tight as well?

hmmmm, no I didnt! I'll have to try that tomorrow! haha I thought it just pulled and snapped on...didn't realize it screwed too. :facepalm:

thanks for the suggestion and I'll try it tomorrow! :)

Back