• Register Today It's free!

A/C on all the time

Randy1999

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
It seems that most postings deal with A/C not working. However in my case it is the opposite. I have a '99 Explorer XLT. It seems that my A/C is on all the time even though I have not selected A/C or Max A/C. Does anyone have any idea as to what this is and how to correct it? Thanks. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume that you mean that the compressor clutch turns on (for a bit) even though you don't select the "AC" based positions on your heater / AC control... right? Ford's idea is that A/C will also be used to "dry air" in other positions.... those positions are where the air goes to both top and floor vents. The A/C will come on for just a bit (dependent on the temperature position... more red less A/C, more blue more A/C). If you select either floor only, or upper vent only then no A/C is applied. I think it is spelt out in your manual.

If you mean that your A/C compressor never disengages, then you have a problem.

I have the same problem. I could put it on defrost with cold air, and the ac compressor still turns on.

budwich said:
I assume that you mean that the compressor clutch turns on (for a bit) even though you don't select the "AC" based positions on your heater / AC control... right? Ford's idea is that A/C will also be used to "dry air" in other positions.... those positions are where the air goes to both top and floor vents. The A/C will come on for just a bit (dependent on the temperature position... more red less A/C, more blue more A/C). If you select either floor only, or upper vent only then no A/C is applied. I think it is spelt out in your manual.

If you mean that your A/C compressor never disengages, then you have a problem.

I didn't think about the "dry air" thing, but it seems not to disengage, but I'll test it further to make sure that it is clearly a disengaging problem and not what you have suggested. If it is a disenganing problem, what's involved in fixing it?

Thanks, budwich.

I was also a "bit off".... as the AC also comes on for the "defog" cycle to help dry the air to aid in the defogging (I assume you mean defog and not defrost). In terms of shutting off your compressor, you can try unplugging the energizing circuit at the compressor. That should totally stop the clutch from engaging. If it doesn't, then you have a clutch mechanical problem and that need attention otherwise you will likely cause yourself a compressor problem ($$$$). If it does stay disengaged (with the plug removed), you need to find out why there is an operating voltage on the circuit. That will take a bit further investigation. I assume that you are in the "cycling" camp and that its probably "normal" for your settings.

Exactly what mine does... that's "normal"???

budwich said:
... compressor clutch turns on (for a bit) even though you don't select the "AC" based positions on your heater / AC control... those positions are where the air goes to both top and floor vents. ... If you select either floor only, or upper vent only then no A/C is applied.

I just charged my (previously non-working) A/C system a couple weeks ago. I've only run it a few times, and it seems to still be cold.

However, I noticed the A/C clutch engaging this AM, when I had it at the vent/floor setting. When I go to vent only, the air seems to warm a bit, but at vent/floor, it's like having the A/C full "on". Ford deems this to be "normal" operation??? Are they on drugs? No wonder they get such wonderful gas mileage... doh!!???

I know about it on the defrost setting, because most manufacturers do that, but C'mon, you're kidding about this being normal, right? Is it April 1st today? I must have a wiring problem... What's the purpose of the A/C and A/C Max positions then?

I have a dodge truck that's the same way. I prefer the 1st Gen Explorer that lets you select A/C (or not) in whatever vent mode you want.

If you wanted to get creative, it wouldn't be too hard to disconnect the A/C wires from your control head and connect them to a new switch that would give you total control.

you guys are lucky, mine dont work at all... lol

Rgoers.... not sure if you are "kidding" me about "kidding" you.... but no, having A/C on the vent/floor setting is in the manual. As a previous GM owner, I too was rather taken back by this, especially since my A/C on the Ex wasn't fully charged when I bought it used. The result was a significant cycling of the compressor which I only noticed when I happen to walk up to my truck when my wife was getting set to drive off. I yelled at her with "why are you running the AC?" this was in april (last year). She said wasn't.... that's when my investigation led me to the manual..... before my compressor was hosed.

Thanks!!!

budwich said:
.... I too was rather taken back by this, especially since my A/C on the Ex wasn't fully charged when I bought it used. The result was a significant cycling of the compressor which I only noticed when I happen to walk up to my truck when my wife was getting set to drive off. ...

Thanks for the additional explain! I did the same thing - bought my EX w/o working air. I drove it all fall and winter that way. I charged it this spring, and was as surprised as you when I heard the clutch cycling on non-A/C settings. I'm an engineer, so it *really* amazes me why anyone would intentionally design it that way. No wonder I can't get over 20 MPG...

Again - thank you for convincing me that it is operating "normally".

Back