• Register Today It's free!

a/c problem 98 explorer

wayne'o

Reaction score
City, State
geraldton western australia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
hi i have a 98 explorer and it seems to blow hot air all the time it was getting slightly cool before but just hot now and when you turn a/c on the flap behind the glove box stays open and when you flick a/c max on it shuts is this what it is meant to do ? and the a/c motor in the motor spins around with the fan belt then it stops for about 10 seconds but the belt still spins on the pully then the whole motor spins again its like it has a slip pully if you know what i mean and it ticks when it starts and stops any help clearing these matters up for me would be muchly appreciated :)
wayne.

hi i have a 98 explorer and it seems to blow hot air all the time it was getting slightly cool before but just hot now and when you turn a/c on the flap behind the glove box stays open and when you flick a/c max on it shuts is this what it is meant to do ?
Yes
and the a/c motor in the motor spins around with the fan belt then it stops for about 10 seconds but the belt still spins on the pully then the whole motor spins again its like it has a slip pully if you know what i mean and it ticks when it starts and stops
This is a normal response with an A/C system that is low on refrigerant, meaning you have a refrigerant leak somewhere that needs to be fixed. The piece that the belt rides on is the compressor clutch, which engages and disengages in response to pressure inside the system. The on/off again combined with the air only being cool, not cold, says that there isn't enough refrigerant to keep the system running.

ok cool cheers mate

Back